ೃ⁀➷xvii. sᴜʀᴘʀɪsᴇ, sᴜʀᴘʀɪsᴇ

≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

THEY HANDCUFFED EACH one of them  and dragged them into a van, but no one dared to say a word. The pain on (Y/N)'s side had intensified to the point it was unbearable, but she knew that if she spoke up about it, it might get her into trouble.

Steve stared down at his hands as his mind replayed the events from earlier. "It was him."

"He looked right at me like he didn't even know me," he continued.

"How is that even possible? It was, like, 70 years ago," Sam asked.

"Zola," Steve sighed. "Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43. Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and. . ."

(Y/N) forced herself to keep her eyes open as she feared that she might not be able to wake up again. The stain on her shirt was getting bigger by every passing second and it pained her to even take a breath, but she wanted to reassure Steve.

"None of that's your fault, Steve," she slurred out.

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky," Steve muttered.

Natasha looked over at (Y/N) to see how she rested her head against the wall while taking deep breaths  and blood dripped from the side of her shirt.

"We need to get a doctor here," Sam seemed to have read her thoughts as he spoke to one of the guards that was keeping an eye on the quartet.

"Listen here, if she bleeds out here in the truck, I won't hesitate to kill both of you, you got me?" Natasha threatened.

The guard raised their taser as a warning, but instead of directing the weapon at Sam, they used it to hit the other guard with it before kicking them in the head.

The quartet stared at the remaining guard in confusion as they took off the helmet and a familiar voice groaned in pain.

"Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain," Maria Hill panted as she moved her hair out of her face.

(Y/N) sighed in relief as Steve and Natasha looked dumbfounded by what just happened.

"Who's this guy?" Maria asked, nodding her head at Sam.

≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

MARIA GOT THEM out of that truck safely before she got the quartet inside another van, which was supposedly leading them towards the place she was using as a hideout.