ೃ⁀➷lxxiv. ᴄᴏʟʟᴀᴛᴇʀᴀʟ ᴅᴀᴍᴀɢᴇ

📍NEW YORK CITY ≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

📍NEW YORK CITY
≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

YELENA BELOVA has always been stealthy, especially when it was her main intention. In her first visit to the city of New York, she didn't expect it to be in a mission from work. She would've probably ditched it, if it wasn't a personal issue with herself.

She stayed inside Kate Bishop's empty apartment, waiting for her arrival. When she finally arrived, Yelena calmly formed a conversation with her, offering some of the food she'd made while waiting for her to arrive.

They both ate quietly in the table, uncomfortable silence filling the air as Kate Bishop stared at her with a weird glance, trying to find anything suspicious in her behavior.

"Are you done?" Yelena asked.

"Yeah."

"I go?"

"Sure, can."

"I could put hot sauce on it?"

"Hmm."

Yelena pulled the pot close to her and grabbed the bottle of hot sauce in her hand, squeezing it carefully as it dropped on the mac and cheese. A sudden memory appeared to her mind, recalling back in Ohio when (Y/N) used to tease her for her love of hot sauce.

"Ah, I love hot sauce," she muttered. "Yes!"

"So what do you want?" Kate broke the silence.

"Well, it's my first time in New York," Yelena announced happily, moving her hands around enthusiastically. "Mmm-hmm. It's a business trip, so time is limited. But I do want to see some things."

"I want to see, uh, the Empire State Building, the new and improved Statue of Liberty, and the Rockefeller Center."

Kate chuckled. "Very funny."

"What, it's not good?" Yelena's face dropped.

"Oh. No, they're — they're great. Yeah, you. . .I meant you've gotta see the tree."

Yelena clasped her hands together. "Exactly. See? I love American Christmases. The tree, the presents, the super-powered reindeer, Rudolph."

"Mmm-hmm. Rudolph. Yeah."

"He is so weird." Yelena laughed. "Have you ever eaten reindeer?"

"Cannot say I've had the pleasure. No," Kate shook her head.

"It's. . ." Yelena let out a laugh. "No, it is not a pleasure. No, it's, um, it's really tough. It's chewy. Mm, you have to braise it for a really long time."

"But, hey, Kate Bishop, you grew up here, right? You must have some recommendations for me."

"Yeah. I — I have. Let's see. The High Line. High Line is great. Um. . .there's a Christmas market in Union Square. I'm not quite sure those are the right fit for the blood-thirsty vigilante type."

"Blood-thirsty vigilante," Yelena chuckled. "Sometimes you're funny, Kate Bishop."

"Do you say my whole name to point it that you know it?"

Yelena nodded. "Yes. I know a lot about you. Mother, Eleanor. Lives on Park and 41st. Father, Derek, deceased. Very sad. And you recently walked into traffic to save a dog, which I'll admit is pretty cool and you got a few points from me on that. University GPA 3.8z Senior, double major, and — "

"Right. Okay. We get it. Thank you," Kate cut her off. "Are you in New York to talk to Clint? Is that why you're here?"

"No, no, no, no," Yelena shook her head. "I'm here to kill him."

Kate's face blanked when she heard that sentence, nodding slowly as if to confirm that she had heard the right thing, having Yelena nodding along with her.

"I have a question for you," Yelena asked. "What is it? Why do you risk your life for him, Clint Barton? How has everybody forgiven him for his past?"

She leaned closer to the table by her elbows, a frown written on her features while Kate found the right words to answer.

"He saved the world."

"No. My sister saved the world," Yelena protested. "(Y/N) Zolohov, she saved the world. Stop pretending like you're not surprised. It does not look cool."

"You're really (Y/N) and Natasha's sister?"

"Yes."

"Wow. I did not see that coming. Thank God, I didn't kill you up there."

Yelena laughed boisterously. "You kill me? Again, oh, Kate Bishop, you are so funny. That's hilarious. That one is the funniest."

"(Y/N) and Clint were friends. Why are you after him?" Kate changed the subject.

"You are so fond of him. It tells me you don't really know who he is."

"He came out here to protect me."

Yelena disagreed. "No. He came here to protect his reputation. Do you know how many people he killed? The trail of blood that follows him, it could wrap around the entire world."

"Okay. Wow. That was very Russian."

"Hmm."

"He's still an Avenger," Kate protested.

"What does that word even mean? Huh?" Yelena snapped. "That it holds so much power. You call him a hero no matter what he does?"

"It means that when you choose to spend your life trying to help people, there are going to be things that you lose," Kate explained. "When you face the kind of threats he has, there's going to be collateral damage."

"My sister is gone because of him!"

"What? No. No, that is. . .No."

"She's gone," Yelena's eyes turned cloudy and her voice faltered. "Is she collateral damage?"

"No, look, there is no way that that is true," Kate defended. "He would not let that happen."

"How long have you known Clint Barton?"

"About a week."

"It will not be difficult for me to complete this assignment."

"Wait a minute, somebody hired you to kill him?"

Yelena stayed silent, which confirmed Kate's theory. The blonde brushed the hair out of her eyes and fell back to her chair.

"Listen, you can't just kill Clint. He's my hero!"

"(Y/N) was my hero!"