ೃ⁀➷xlvii. ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀʟʟ

2018≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

2018
≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

"HOW DARE YOU betray me like this?" the woman sat in the table argued, glaring at the man in front of her.

"It's the only way for me to succeed." the man bit back, the feeling of triumph running through his face.

"You're ruining the plan."

"That's the objective behind this, isn't it?"

"Samuel, don't you dare — "

Sam placed the card in the pile and smirked in triumph as he saw (Y/N) huff in annoyance, rolling her eyes as she held only one card in her hand.

"+4," he said.

"I hate you," (Y/N) grabbed four more cards into her stash, growing annoyed that now Sam was closer to winning than she was.

This was an old habit of them. Months of hiding in the dark was tiring enough, and the amount of activities to do were limited. Sam and (Y/N) were the most enthusiastic to distract themselves by playing children games, convincing Natasha and Steve to join every once in a while.

"No, you don't. You love me," Sam chuckled, reaching out to grab a chip from the bag in the wooden table. "I already placed my other card in the pile, it's your turn."

"I was so close to win," (Y/N) whined, glaring at the five cards in her hands. She calculated which one would help her step up once again, and placed it in the pile.

"Okay, quick question," she continued on, drinking from her cup on the table beside the bag of chips, looking up at Sam as he placed his card and followed on with the game.

"Shoot."

"What's the worst present you ever received?"

Sam raised an eyebrow at the sudden question but didn't seem any less fazed. It was something (Y/N) often did with her close friends. She randomly asked questioned to know them better, even if it was in the strangest of situations. He thought the answer through.

"My sister Sarah thought it will be a funny idea to gift me coal on Christmas," Sam began, a fond smile forming as he recalled the day. "Since I was ten at the time, I was completely heartbroken."

(Y/N) laughed along with him. "Sounds like something Natasha did to me. She told me that the Tooth Fairy wouldn't come for my money. I didn't talk to her in days."

"Being the oldest sibling can be handful," Sam agreed. "It's hilarious to be able to scold them when your parents aren't around."

(Y/N) hummed. "Can't relate. I'm the middle child."

"Ooh, now that's bad," Sam teased.

"Moving on," (Y/N) continued, drinking from  own cup and eating a chip from the bag. "It's your turn to ask a question."

"Okay, okay," he replied, not meeting
her eyes as he was concentrated in picking one of his colored cards.

"What's the best mission you ever had?" Sam asked innocently.

(Y/N) had to look up and pause her actions to think for an answer. It was a strange but simple question, but the response was too complicated. Sam took notice of the silence and felt guilty about ruining the mood, ready to apologize when she got to speak up first.

"The one that I didn't accomplish."

Sam frowned in confusion, but all (Y/N) did was smile down at her hands as she remembered the mission.

"What does that mean?"

(Y/N) drank from her cup to think her words through, exhaling a long breath before she looked up at her friend.

"It's simple. It was the day I met Clint," (Y/N) confessed, leaning back on her chair as she placed the card in the stash.

"Ooh, this turned interesting," Sam leaned onto the table while using his elbows as support. "It must be a cool story."

"He was sent to take Natasha and I out," she began, remembering the day. "But he couldn't do it. We just needed out of that horrible place."

"That's it?"

"You didn't even let me finish," (Y/N) scolded. "He recruited us to join him in S.H.I.E.L.D., and I couldn't have wanted it any other way. I got involved into this whole avenger-fiasco. That's pretty much it."

"Cool, cool," Sam shook his head. "Although I was expecting more 'action' and — "

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah!"

"Hey, are you two busy?" a loud voice interrupted their conversation, and both of them turned to see Steve and Natasha walk into the room with perplexed yet worried expressions on their faces.

"No, what's wrong?" (Y/N) dropped her cards in the table.

"I received a call," was Steve's only answer, though she could see in his eyes that he wanted to say so much more, he just didn't find the right words to say them. "From the flip-phone I gave him."

The color in her face washed off when he said it, knowing who he was referring to. If he was calling them, it must be some sort of emergency.

"And what did he say?"

"It wasn't him on the phone. It was Bruce," Natasha answered for him when she saw how he wasn't able to move. This made (Y/N) worry even further; she hadn't heard anything from Bruce in this last years, and the last thing she expected was for him to call to make his presence known.

"He needs our help."