ೃ⁀➷xlvi. ᴀɴ ᴜɴᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ ᴇᴠᴇɴᴛ

≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

(Y/N) COULD ALREADY sense that everyone else in the apartment was hiding something. It's a habit she learned to master over her years as a spy, managing to read a person's expressions and see if they're lying. This was exactly what she did when she noticed how her friends and boyfriend were muttering to themselves without her.

It seemed like they were trying to be subtle, but not even Natasha, who was trained with her for years, succeeded in putting up a lie. Sam wasn't able to hide a secret to save his life, but somehow he got through (Y/N)'s interrogation without blurting it out. Steve was the one who seemed more nervous.

(Y/N) tried for weeks to sneak in, hide behind curtains or even make lies herself to catch what was going on behind her back. It didn't work out. Over thousands of failed tries, she thought that she was exaggerating and dropped the act.

She was sitting comfortably in the couch of the apartment they've lived in for almost two years now, eating her pudding quietly and in peace when she felt someone's weight sitting beside her on the couch.

"You alright?" Steve asked. "You seem tired."

"Mmm," (Y/N) only hummed in reply. "Just bored, you know?"

Steve didn't notice or tried to ignore the strange way she spoke out her words. "In that case, I want to distract you."

(Y/N) turned to look at him. "What do you mean?"

"Come on," Steve urged, standing from the couch and extending his large hand over to (Y/N), who seemed suspicious about his behavior. "I don't want you to sit here all bored out."

(Y/N) took his hand in hers and guided her out of the apartment, as she still questioned what he was planning. He'd been distant with her for weeks, only sharing small conversations before going to bed and now he was paying attention to her once again. It all seemed weird.

With her hand still in his, Steve led her over the fire escape staircase and walked several steps towards the roof of the motel building, to which (Y/N) frowned in confusion as she noticed where she was going. Before he opened the door that led to the destination, Steve came up behind her and covered her eyes with his hands.

"It's a surprise," he said in the tone of his voice that made (Y/N)'s insides to melt.

Steve carefully opened the door that revealed the rooftop and led (Y/N) into the center of the ground, hiding a proud smile from popping into his face. All (Y/N) could feel was anxiousness and could slightly smell the burning of wax from afar.