ೃ⁀➷ xxviii. ʜᴇʟᴘɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄɪᴠɪʟɪᴀɴs

📍SOKOVIA

📍SOKOVIA

≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

THEY ARRIVED IN the small country of Sokovia much more quickly than (Y/N) had expected. Everyone was already suited up and listened to the captain say his speech with patience.

"Ultron knows we're coming," Steve said. "Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire. And that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't."

"So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace. And that's not gonna happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done."

"We find out what Ultron's been building, we find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us."

(Y/N) looked down at her hands and played with the sleeve's ends of her suit, hoping to find Natasha safe and sound.

"Ultron thinks we're monsters, That we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right."

The rear hatch of the jet opened and the light of the rising sun hit (Y/N)'s face brightly. Everyone quickly went over with the orders that Steve had told them, but before she could do the same, someone called her back.

"(Y/N)," Steve called and she turned around to face him.

"Yeah?"

"Be careful," he said softly.

She smiled with a teasing look on her face. "Always am, Cap."

The worry didn't disappear out of his face at her words, and Steve looked at her with seriousness. "Promise me you'll come back to me."

(Y/N) locked eyes with him. "I promise."

With that, Steve and (Y/N) walked out of the jet and stepped into the city, getting prepared mentally for the upcoming fight.

≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

THE CIVILIANS WALKED and drove away in big crowds of people, mostly causing traffic as they tried to drive off the bridge to escape the city. (Y/N) walked her way through one crowd, guiding them away to safety as families held their children close to them.

(Y/N) was too distracted in helping the civilians until she heard the soft and broken cries of a child a few feet away from her. Without thinking much of it, she ran her way towards the cries.