ೃ⁀➷lxxiii. ᴍᴇᴇᴛɪɴɢ

📍OHIO≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

📍OHIO
≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

MELINA WALKED THROUGH the large branches of the trees and watched her step in the grass, her hands stuck inside her coat as she felt her eyes sting from the sight in front of her.

Her hair was blowing back because of the strong but soft winds, and she looked around to see if there was anyone nearby. Coming back from what people called 'The Blip' had been a strange and terrifying experience, and the first thing she wanted to do was to find her girls.

Alexei had contacted her right after she came back, telling her that he'd felt the same way and that he was utterly confused when people told him that he'd missed five years of his life. When the pair found out about the news, they had very different reactions; Melina had broken down in the security of her home while Alexei refused to do anything, the light fading away from his eyes.

She kneeled down on the grass, careful in not stepping or pushing any of the letters, stuffed animals and candles placed around the tombstone. Her hand softly caressed the edges, thinking that it would bring her at least a connection to her, but she didn't know that there was no body left to burry.

(Y/N) DINARA ZOLOHOV

DAUGHTER• SISTER• MOTHER • AVENGER

She read the inscription slowly, and the realization hit her hard. She'd become a mother, and Melina wasn't there with her along the way.

"(Y/N), it's me. It's mama," she muttered, her thick Russian accent dripping through her words.

Her cries were muffled behind her gloves. "You did it, baby. You helped the world."

Melina had been too distracted in staring at the tombstone with sad eyes and softly muttering sweet words to it that she didn't listen to the approaching footsteps in the graveyard.

Steve walked deep into the area with a cap over his head and a leather jacket covering him from the wind, wanting to blend in plain sight to have a quiet moment with his lover.

The graveyard was situated in Ohio, miles away from the place where the funeral had been situated. Natasha had discussed the idea early, saying that it held great significance in (Y/N)'s life. No one dared to disagree with her.

When Steve got closer to the tombstone, he stopped dead in his tracks when he noticed an unfamiliar woman kneeling in front of it. She didn't seem to notice that he was behind her at first, but when he cleared his throat loudly, she looked up.

"I'm sorry, I — " she paused when she recognized him. "Captain Rogers, it's an honor."

Melina was familiar to who he was, especially after Alexei had told her the relationship Steve and (Y/N) held throughout the years, complaining over the fact that she'd probably forget to talk about Alexei's glory days to him.

"Ma'am," Steve nodded curtly, shifting his weight in an uncomfortable demeanor. "Did you know her well?"

"More than you know," Melina confessed. "She's the middle child of my girls."

Steve froze at that sentence, trying to put the information together. He remembered a certain conversation with her, where she'd confessed to have a family he did not know anything about. The name popped in his head instantly.

"Melina. You're Melina," Steve stated.

She seemed surprised about that. "How do you — "

"She talked about you."

"She did?" Melina's voice gave a short crack, her emotions taking over once again.

Steve nodded in confirmation, his eyes shifting at the tombstone behind Melina. He could already tell that she would've been proud of him, meeting with her mother after talking about her all the time.

"I'm proud of the woman she became. It's a shame I never got to see it," Melina's shoulders dropped and read over the tombstone again. "I bet she was an amazing mother."

Steve swallowed. "She was."

Steve eyed his wristwatch by the corner of his eye, checking the hour. He'd sent the kids to school a few hours ago, and he didn't want to loose track of time and pick them up late. But he was still overly curious about the woman standing in front of him, he wanted to hear all the stories she could have of (Y/N).

"My time has run out. I better leave," Steve looked apologetic. "I hope to see you around, Melina."

Melina nodded, sparing him a goodbye and watched him walk away before a thought came to her mind. She rummaged through her purse and carefully took out a medium sized object from it, cradling it in her hands.

"Captain," she called, making Steve stop and turn around. "This was one of her oldest belongings. She always wished to give it to her own daughter."

Melina placed the music box in Steve's hands, missing the way his eyes turned teary at her words. He admired the box in his hands, careful in not causing any damage.

"Nina would love it."