ೃ⁀➷xliv. ᴅʀᴏᴡɴɪɴɢ ɪɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇ

≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

NIGHTS HAD ALWAYS been difficult for (Y/N), and tonight wasn't the exception. The uncomfortable mattress beneath her wasn't helping at all, and she didn't want to shuffle that much because Steve was sleeping soundlessly beside her. But when more flashes of terrifying memories came into her head, she snapped.

(Y/N) jumped from her sleep and took long, deep breaths to regain her stability, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Her hair was glued on the back of her neck because of the sweat, and she resisted the urge to let out a sob because of the dream.

Steve heard the shuffles and long catches of breath from beside him and opened his eyes, groggily brushing a hand in his hair to comb it.

"(Y/N)?" he called into the darkness, but the flinch and gasp coming from the right notified him of her presence. "You okay?"

"I woke you up — I'm sorry," (Y/N) completely ignored his last words. "Go back to sleep, Steve. I'm fine."

"No, you're not," He sat up on the bed, wincing at the loud screech coming from it. "What's wrong?"

"It's nothing, really. You should go back to sleep," she insisted, playing with her fingers to avoid his gaze though it was difficult to see because of the dark.

"Not with you in that state," Steve replied, he grabbed a hold of one of her hands, cradling it in his own. "Can I help?"

(Y/N) wasn't facing him, her gaze was fixed forward. The mere thought of bringing back that horrific day into words was a difficult task for her. But this was Steve, her Steve; she knew she could trust him.

(Y/N) took a deep breath and the grip on Steve's hand tightened. "Have I ever tell you the day I left the Red Room?"

The question was received by a dreadful silence. Steve blinked in order to hide his surprise, this was a topic she wasn't happy to share, but she trusted him with it. He only wanted to make her feel better.

"No," Steve answered, though it seemed more like a question. He didn't rush (Y/N) to speak up, continue her tale, after he noticed the deep breaths she had to take in order to maintain calm.

"When Clint didn't. . . .finish his mission, he recruited both Natasha and I," she paused and Steve nodded slowly, since he already knew this part of the story. "In order to have our complete defection for S.H.I.E.L.D., we had to get rid of someone," (Y/N) stopped to regain her breath. "The one in charge of the Red Room. Dreykov."

Steve stayed silent and didn't interrupt even though he had questions popping into his head.

"But we needed clues, we needed a lead on his location. So, we followed his daughter," the tears escaped before she could stop them, and (Y/N) went to dry them off as soon as they showed. "I killed a little girl. For collateral damage, that's it. What kind of monster does that?"