ೃ⁀➷lviii. ᴘᴀʀᴇɴᴛs

2021≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

2021
≫ ──── ««•◦ ✪ ◦•»» ──── ≪

THE WAY (Y/N) could ease her nerves down while waiting in the adoption center was by bouncing her leg up and down or playing with one of Steve's free hands, who also seemed to be a nervous wreck at this particular moment.

They went through it all, a year of an adoption process was already working its way through. (Y/N) had told Steve exactly what Tony had suggested, and as always, he agreed with her, he even confessed that he was researching as much as he could before accepting.

"Mr. Rogers, Miss Zolohov?" a woman in formal work attire greeted them as she walked into their view, the sound of her heels clicking against the floor being the only sound in the room.

(Y/N) and Steve stood up from their respective chairs and walked closer to meet up with the woman at the center of the room, both of them equally anxious for what she had to say.

"I must say, I value your patience," the woman began. "Most couples get frustrated because of the long adoption process, but you on the contrary helped all the way through."

"So, what does that mean?" (Y/N) asked, fidgeting with her hands.

"Are we finally approved to adopt?" Steve followed on, one of his arms wrapping around her shoulder to ease her down.

"Of course," the woman nodded and offered a smile so she could reassure the couple. "You're truly lucky, we have the children ready for you."

She guided them down the hall of the facility and (Y/N) concentrated on the paintings and frames on the walls to distract her negative thoughts away. What if they didn't like her? What if she wasn't good enough —

"Nina, Leo, come here," the woman cut her line of thoughts as she called while knocking on a room's door inside the enormous building.

Two small figures opened the door of the room and stared up at the woman with plain looks on their faces, one being a girl and the other a boy.

The boy, known as Leo, had soft locks of brown hair with light streaks over it, a pair of glasses way too big for him resting on the bridge of his nose. The girl with the name Nina was standing beside him, a small bow clipped on her brown hair as she played with the ends of her shirt.

"Remember what we've talked about this last months?" the woman asked, her gaze on the kids. "About a new family? This is it."

The eyes of the kids widened in surprise at the woman's statement, directing their attention at Steve and (Y/N). Leo offered a toothless smile while Nina scrunched her nose in surprise.