Chapter 50

Previously on Chapter 49

He lets out a sigh. "I'm going to take a little stroll... do you want to come?" he said. "I'm kind of tired. I think I'm going to sleep..." I said, yawning a little. "Okay... I'll see you later then, sis..." he said. I nod my head, not opening my eyes. I feel a hand on my hair, caressing it softly. "Bye, sis..." he said, placing a soft kiss on my head. "Bye, Aang..." I said, sleepily. Then I slowly drift off to sleep.

-Ice Dodging-

Y/N P.O.V

I open my eyes and realize Aang still hasn't return. I wonder where he's heading off to. But I'm sure he'll be alright, he's a strong bender. I sit up and lean my back against the wall.

The door opens to reveal Aang. "Hello guys! Sorry I was gone for so long!" he said, in a cheerful voice. I raise an eyebrow at him. "Hey, Aang. I didn't notice you left" Katara said. "Yup, but now I'm back! Sure could go for some delicious sea prunes!" He said. He sits down cross-legged and grabs the bowl where he left off a while ago.

He starts eating a few bites at a rapid pace

He starts eating a few bites at a rapid pace. "Mmm~ blehhhh! Mm~" He said, spiting out the sea prunes from his mouth. I furrow my eyebrows at him.

"Are you... okay?" I said, worriedly. "Oh... I'm fine! I'm fine!" He said, waving his hand. Uh huh.. he's definitely hiding something. He's acting so weird right now.

***

I'm standing next to Appa. Aang air-bends a pile of hay. He finishes his form and I notice something fell out of his sleeve.

"Aha! I caught you! You should be ashamed of yourself... littering in the courtyard" the superior woman said. "I'm sorry. I'll take care of this..." he said, bowing. She gives him a stern look, then turn around and walks away.

"What is that?" I asked. "N-Nothing!" He said. "You have been acting weird after you're back from that little stroll... are you sure you're okay?" I said. "I'm sure..." he said. I can hear a hint of nervousness in his voice.

"You're lying, brother..." I said. "I'm not!" He said, defensively. "Then let me see it" I said, outstretching my hand. He looks at me for a few seconds, then he sighs. He place the crumpled paper on my hand. I straighten the paper and take a look. I gasp when I realize what it is.

"Aang! This is the map that'll lead Sokka and Katara to their father. Why are you hiding this??" I said. He looks down in guilt. "I'm giving this to them" I said. "No! You can't! If you do... they... they're going to leave us!" He said. I let out a sigh at his response.

"Aang... they haven't seen their father for years! This could be their only chance to see him again! We can't keep this" I said. "I know... but I don't want them to leave me, Y/N... please!" He said. He stares at me with pleading eyes.

"Aang..." I said. "Please, sis..." he said. "You're on your own... don't drag me into this" I said. He nods his head and snatch the paper from me, hiding it back in his sleeve. I'm sorry, Katara... Sokka.

Time-skip

We walk towards Bato's ship. I stand next to Aang. As Katara and Sokka stands next to Bato. "This ship is sentimental to me. It was built by my father" Bato said. I turn my head to look at Aang to see him using air-bending to erase traces from the sand. I open my mouth to ask him but he quickly covers my mouth.

"Shh! Don't say a word! It's the messenger that gave me the map..." he whispered in my ear. I roll my eyes at him. I feel so bad for lying to the others. But I just can't bear seeing my brother sad. Am I wrong doing this? I can't help it.

"Is this the boat he took you ice dodging in?" Sokka said. "Yep! It's got a scar to prove it. Ha. How 'bout you, Sokka? You must have some good stories from your first time ice dodging" Bato said. Sokka looks saddens by Bato's question.

"He never got to do it. Dad left before he was old enough..." Katara said. "Oh, I forgot you were too young" Bato said, looking at Sokka with sympathy. I gently pat his back to comfort him. He turns to me with a small smile.

"What's ice dodging?" I asked. Bato turns his head to look at me. "It's a rite passage for young Water Tribe members. When you turn fourteen, your dad takes you... you know what? You're about o find out" he said, placing a hand on Sokka's shoulder.

***

All 5 of us are now on Bato's ship, we are sailing near the shore. I lean my elbow against the edge as I feel the air flowing through my hair. It's comforting for me to feel the air flow.

"Ice dodging is a ceremonial test of wisdom, bravery, loyalty, and trust. In our village, ice dodging was done by weaving a boat through a field of icebergs" Bato said.

Sokka turns his head to look at Bato. "How are we suppose to ice dodge without ice?" Sokka said. "You will be dodging those" Bato said, pointing ahead of us. I turn my head to see rocks that comes in various shapes. They're all tall, pointed and jagged.

"Sokka, you steer and call the shots, lead wisely. Katara, you secure the main sail. The winds can be brutal so be brave. Y/N, you stand by and watch who would need assists. Your position often misjudge because a lot of people fled before they finish the trials. Lastly, Aang, you control the jib. Without your steady hand, we all go down. Your position is about trust" he said.

"I know that! Why wouldn't I know that? I'm the Avatar; I know about trust!" He said, crossing his arms. He looks away, but I notice him giving Bato a second glance.

"Aang, ease up on the jib. Katara, steady. Y/N, stand by and watch who needs assists. Aang, less sail!" He starts giving orders as he observes the obstacle in front of us.

"Aang! Helm to lee! Helm to lee!" He said. "What is that suppose to mean?" Aang said, in confusion. I walk towards him and helps him. "Great job, Y/N!" Sokka said.

We look forward and there's a bundle of rocks. My eyes widened in shock. "There's no way through!" Katara said. "We can make it..." Sokka said, with confidence.

"Sokka, you've already proven yourself. Maybe we should-" Bato get cut off. "Aang, I'm gonna need air in that sail! Katara, I want you to bend as much water as you can between us and those rocks. Now! Y/N... observe who's going to need help!" He said. I stand and watch who needs help the most. Katara's bending is still a bit off, Aang is strong enough but this whole ship is heavy. Man... I hate to be place in between.

I take a deep breathe and focus on two things. I use water-bending with my right hand and air-bending with my left, helping both of them. I have no idea how I'm able to do this, but whatever.

After a lot of struggle we finally made it through. I breathe heavily and drop on the wooden floor. Aang walks towards me and kneels down. "Wow, sis... you just bended two elements at once. How did you do that?" He said. "No idea..." I said, breathlessly. I take deep breath and try to calm my nerve.

*to be continued*