Chapter 36: "Know Your Enemy"

Funtime Freddy's P.O.V

"Hmm. The popcorn we had back in our world was better than this. I don't understand how people can eat popcorn so buttery, especially the way the butter tastes with this popcorn," said Mangle eating the bowl of popcorn at the dining table. "Well, that's most of the stuff you'll get at the store unless you make and grow your own food or buy anything organic," I responded. "Though I'll admit I never was one for eating healthy. The whole time I've been alive I've barely eaten any fruits or vegetables, only junk food and frozen food." "Well, maybe you should at least try and start eating healthy. Just in case," responded Mangle. "Yeah. If I remember," I responded shoving popcorn in my mouth from the bowel in front of me. "You can have my popcorn, I've had enough for it anyways," said Mangle pushing her bowl over to me. "If you say so. Thanks," I responded. "Hey... What was the old me like? You know, the version of me you and Michael were familiar with before me and others got transported to this world?" she asked out the blue. "Why do you ask?" I said curious. "Just... wondering. That's all," she responded. "Well... The old you was very quiet and timid around all of us. Never really spoke a word unless it was necessary for her to speak like to ask for something. It was really when she was around Michael she spoke more than before, like she could be herself around him. She really loved him, and without her he probably would've never had a chance to lift himself up from the abyss his father threw him in," I responded. "Huh. Kinda ironic. I saved him in our world from devolving back into Purple Guy and he saved me from the struggles I was encountering throughout our journey, all to fall in love with him again... Shame the old her had to perish and have me take her place," said Mangle. "Actually, I think she still lives on. In you. You still carry the heart and kindness she had towards Michael, and now for everyone around here. She didn't get replaced, she evolved. And she's still here," I responded. "Like I could be that soft," scoffed Mangle. "Evolved. And here I thought I was at my limit at becoming a better person."

The front door opened, signaling the others had returned. They all made their way over to the kitchen, as I was unsure of what news of their mission would be. They appeared into view as they poured into the kitchen, seeming fine from the blank expressions they had on their faces. "Oh! Don't mind if I do. If you don't mind that is," said Springbonnie asking to grab some popcorn from the bag. "Here. Mangle didn't want it anyway," I said handing her the bowl of popcorn. "Well, someone is finally back in action," pointed out Helpy to Mangle. "Mostly. Walking around is still a hassle though I should be back to normal in a couple of hours, according to Henry," she responded. She looked over at Bonnie, causing me to do the same considering what we were seeing. He had a clear feeling of concern and frustration written all over his face, like something was bothering him. "Bonnie. What happened," said Mangle, almost like she had an idea for the way Bonnie was feeling. "I think I should handle this one," said Michael to Bonnie placing his hand on his shoulder. "What happened?" I asked. "Eh Bonnie's frustrated because we didn't encounter the enemy at the pizzeria," responded Helpy. "Well, technically," added in Springbonnie. "What do you mean technically?" asked Mangle unconvinced. "I fell unconscious again... because I saw Ballora," said Michael. "What! Are you sure?!" I asked shocked by his words. "I'm sure. Though when she was around I heard my mom's voice, which was the trigger that made me pass out. It's just the others didn't see her, only me," he responded. "This Ballora. You mentioned she had possibly perished when your sister attacked her and the rest of your friends at the old house. If she survived she could be under your father's control and is being used against you," said Mangle. "It's possible. But her making me pass out to only regain memories I had forgotten doesn't add up, especially since she never attacked and only disappeared after. In fact we encountered nothing else or anything after that," responded Michael. "Nothing? That really doesn't add up," I noted. "We'll have to prioritize getting in contact with her if we encounter her again. My mother has something to do with her and I have to make sure the reason behind it is not meant to disrespect her name and all she's done," stated Michael. "Then we'll make sure of it. For your mother, and for Ballora if she still is alive," I stated back. "What about the Decoder? Did you retrieve it?" asked Mangle. "We obtained it," said Bonnie holding it out for us to see. "That is good to hear," said Henry's voice as we saw him making his way over to us. The conversation had distracted me that I hadn't heard him heading downstairs or coming this way, especially with my mind focused on Ballora being possibly alive. "Though it seems unexpected events occurred during the mission, am I correct?" "Yeah. Apparently Ballora is still alive, and I heard my mom's voice when she was around," said Michael. "It is an unprecedented development, but this also signifies the hands of your father. Even with your mother possibly involved this could be a ploy used against you, as to what end and how I cannot say," said Henry. "Well, due to her I passed out again and recalled another memory; the time when Ennard had taken over my body. Though the most important detail out of the dream was my sister claiming my mom's death was her own fault and that everyone would be happy because of my father's plan," I explained. "You passed out again, like at the previous location. What if she was there as well, which caused you to pass out the first time?" I proposed. "It's possible. I only assumed it happened since missing memories were returning on their own, but I only passed out once I saw her," said Michael. "But you had saw her the first time and chased after her, so maybe she has another method of unlocking those memories and causing you to fall unconscious. She could very well be doing so to unlock those forgotten memories for you," suggested Bonnie. "Hmm, this is most unusual. The only way of figuring out this mystery effectively is by capturing her. And now that you have the Decoder you can plug it into her head and unravel the meaning behind it," said Henry. "There's also something else we can use it for," said Michael as we all turned to look at him. "Figuring out what my father's plan is and his motives." "His plan? Obviously his plan is to send out his army to destroy this world along with everyone, so what else is there to figure out?" scoffed Helpy. "We've only guessed what his plan is on limited information and a lack of knowledge, we don't know what his true intentions are. I think it's time we pursue what we don't know so we may fully understand what we are dealing with," proposed Michael. It was surprising for him to suggest an idea, especially since it was something that had pondered in my mind for a while now. Not just that but our priorities involving retrieving all the devices Henry made, training myself and everyone, and developing a plan to on how to attack hindered anything else from mattering to the scale our priorities were at. Even so, I felt Michael wanted to pursue this factor, not just to for himself, but to ease my concerns I had made clear. It was a sign of gratitude I would share in return. 

"As the saying goes: 'To defeat your enemy, you must know your enemy,' and we know only a handful about him. Even I still lack knowledge on what's motivating him the plans he's laid out for years. Not just him, but his followers who would willingly die for him and his plan. We need to understand why they follow and serve under him, to exploit their weaknesses as well. We need to know if this war is really black and white, or grey enough that we've haven't realized it yet," continued Michael. "You're stating we're in the wrong here with everything your father has done to everyone, even you?" demanded Bon Bon. "That's not what I'm saying. What my father plans, in his mind, are for the good of the people and this world but his actions and path to complete that plan is done with ill-intent and no remorse for the innocent. He still has to answer for what's he done to everyone here, not just me. I need to know why he used, killed all those children, killed my mom and sister. Maybe in my father's and his minions mind we're in the wrong because we're trying to oppose his plan, but what we do is for the good of this world and to ensure no one else has to suffer because of my father," said Michael. "Well said," spoke Henry finally. "You have every right and justification to suggest an idea, as well it allowing us a tactical advantage over our enemy. It is a question that has remained unanswered throughout the many years of William's plan has been in development, and one I personally never sought to answer for myself and to understand what was the point of it all. With the Decoder in our hands we might have a chance to alleviate some of the tension from the unknown, though I'll have to give it to Duality for upgrades to ensure it's protected and updated." "Yeah and I could also use something from you if you don't mind. Something for the others to send a signal for me if they really need backup or in trouble," asked Helpy. "Leaving the car to help us would allow the enemy to take control of our vehicle or could ambush us once we head back to it. As much as we may need yoy to help if the situation were to occur, we can't risk you leaving the car alone," noted Bonnie. "I'll take it into consideration regardless, especially to ensure all possibilities of attack by the enemy may be countered or dealt with," Henry responded as he turned to me. "I suggest you continue on with the training as soon as possible, I will also be borrowing Duality for work as well, though you shouldn't need him I presume." "No I should be fine without him," I responded. "Very well. I will return later to discuss more. Take care," said Henry as he walked out of the room. "I thought you needed the dude for training? Unless you memorized everything you needed to learn and teach us," said Springbonnie. "Well guess what, you're right about that," I responded. "Wait! We're almost done already?!" exclaimed Helpy. "Well there's two more things to learn. Then after that everyone will be spending time improving everything we've learned so you'll be prepared when brought into battle," I responded. "We got also one more item to retrieve for Henry and not long until Friday when we attack. Things are getting closer to the end," mentioned Bonnie. "That doesn't matter. All of you have come so far and succeed amongst everything thrown at us and here we still stand tall and proud. We may not know what our enemies plans are and their motivations, but what we know is that they have weaknesses, that they can be defeated and destroyed. The same also goes for us. Even still just knowing they can be hurt as easily as us, whether that be mentality or physically, ensures we have the chance to defeat them, no matter how difficult it may be," said Mangle. "What the enemy doesn't know about us will ultimately be the deciding factor in what outcome they'll face, one of either our making or their own."