Eighteen

She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.

Track 19; Brutal by Olivia Rodrigo

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

You were thankful that you had blow dried your hair this morning seeing that the wind was nipping at your cheeks as you glided above the skyscrapers. It was barely 8 AM and Aizawa had called you—it was time to start training. As you passed by a tall office building, you wondered when the training camp would take place. When you first spoke with him a few weeks ago he mentioned having you come along as a "chaperone" so to speak, so you were curious on why he was wanting you to start earlier than the training camp.

You slept in Hawks' bed again last night. He was always a good cuddle buddy and it was hard to say no to a romp in the sheets with him. He had left earlier than you that morning saying he needed to run recon on something but never specified what. You shrugged it off, more focused on the fact that you'd be suffering through the next few months.

Your feet touched down in an empty park that Aizawa had mentioned in previous texts. This landing had come much easier than the ones before, having tripped and scraped up your hands and knees on more than one occasion. Your reflexes always happened to kick in before you busted up your face thankfully, though you were sure you'd be going home with a few bruises from training if Aizawa was talking about more than just running laps.

You purse your lips and check the time on your phone. You assumed it wouldn't be too long before he showed up so you decided to do yourself a favor and stretch. You discarded your jacket and phone on a park bench facing towards a large, grassy field with a few trees scattered across its expanse. As you warmed up your shoulders you tilted your head from side to side, mind wandering off to being put against a sixteen year old. You were prepped to reach for your toes when you noticed an outline in the distance approaching you.

It wasn't too long before you recognized it to be Aizawa, obviously seen by the iconic yellow sleeping bag he lugged around with him. He looked as exhausted as always with his hands stuffed in his pockets. He didn't give you a respectful introduction to the boy standing behind him before he stepped into his sleeping bag.

The unknown kid had purple hair that stood up in odd directions, much like Aizawa while his quirk was activated. He had dull violet eyes that seemed irritated after you took in the full picture of him in a pair of sweats and a long sleeved shirt. He had a scarf similar to Aizawa capture weapon wrapped around his neck. "This is fucking ridiculous." He spat out.

"It's nice to meet you, too I suppose." You scoffed and placed your hands on your hips, looking towards your old mentor when he sighed.

"I'm supposed to fight against you?" The twerp went to continue but was cut off by the pro hero standing next to you.

"Shinso, this is (L/N). She's an alumni."

"Oh wonderful . I didn't sign up to get my ass handed to me by a bird, old man."

"Listen here you rejected eggplant. I know jack about you and your quirk besides watching the Sports Festival, and it's the same for you regarding me." You retorted.

"Oh big deal." He mocked you, tapping the toe of his shoe on the ground. "You have a pair of wings and I don't."

"Bold guess, thinking all I have up my sleeve is flying." Your shot back.

"Are you going to prove me wrong?" He asked, taking a step back before squatting down.

"Try me-" your words vanished on the tip of your tongue, and suddenly you couldn't feel your limbs anymore. You made eye contact with Shinso; he gave you a smirk and yawned before pulling his phone out of his pocket. You could see Aizawa in his sleeping bag on the bench you had discarded your jacket on, his back facing you. There was no getting out of this now.

I forgot about that, god dammit.

"You should fly home, blue bird." He directed, and your wings opened without your consent. You were cursing yourself under your breath when you began your ascent. He chuckled, tilting his head to the side with a lazy grin. "Can't you go any faster?"

As your figure began flying away, he unlocked his phone and opened up one of his social media apps. "What a waste of my time." He scoffed, lifting his violet hues for a second to throw a glare at his mentor. " This was supposed to be training?"

"First Quarter!"

Shinso felt a pair of boots slam into his shoulder blades, and he was immobilized on the ground. His phone skipped away from him across the grass as a stunned expression crossed his face. What the hell had happened? He had sworn you had to have been a good distance away before the effects wore off, but he had underestimated you.

In all reality, you'd barely made it a mile from the park and across the river when a pair of vermillion wings snapped you out of your trance. You felt the breath return to your lungs and sensation in your fingers and toes when you noticed his exhausted look shift to one of curiosity when he noticed you idling in the air. You gave him a wave when he got within a few feet of you.

He didn't hesitate to greet you with a swift kiss. "What are you doing out here, stardust? I thought you were training?"

"I was supposed to be," you replied softly. "But with all that's been on my mind recently I totally spaced on that kids quirk and ended up being told to fly home."

Hawks had a wide grin on his face before he clicked his tongue and gave you a brief kiss on the nose. "You got this, baby. Get back there and kick that kid's ass."

You nodded with determination. "Right, I'll see you when I get home!" You turned slightly and prepared to take off back to the park when something completely unexpected slipped from your lips. "I lo-" You cut yourself off with a quick cough and quickly looked over your shoulder. To your relief—and a little bit of dismay—he was already gone.

Your heart was beating a million miles an hour when you turned around fully and took off back towards the park, brushing off what you had almost said. You let that embarrassment turn into anger when you saw Shinso casually scrolling through his phone. "First Quarter!"

After pancaking him into the grassy field, you stepped off of his back and wiped your hands briefly of the situation. You stomped towards Aizawa and gave him a few swift karate chops to what you assumed to be his rib cage. "Why didn't you remind me about his quirk?"

"Are you going to know the quirk of every opponent you come up against?" Aizawa growled from his sleeping bag.

"Well...no, but-"

"Shut up and get back to it." He scooted closer to the backrest of the bench, informally dismissing you.

"Why can't I move?!" Shinso shouted from behind you. You looked over your shoulder at him and could practically see him shaking in anger.

You pivoted on the balls of your feet and marched back over to him, making sure to get a good handful of his purple hair and lifting his scowling face up to see yours. You gave him a sweet, close-eyed smile.

"Don't turn your back on a Phoenix."

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧
words; 1317

thanks for reading!