Sixty Three

No one expects an angel to set the world on fire.
~ Unknown

Track 64: The Muck by K.Flay
✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

It only took two days to verify that the letter from your Grandmother was authentic. Same for the hospital address she had attached to said mail. When you approached Medicine Girl about traveling on a plane, she nearly had a heart attack. She forbade it, and said that taking a ferry was a much better and safer option. So, you obliged. It took another week for you to finally be permitted to be off of rest anyway.

Keigo still had yet to regrow Fierce Wings to their full capacity, but he wasn't phased by it at all. It had been at least three weeks since the war overall, and he guessed they were nearly 35% of the way there. You just shook your head and went along with him, knowing any growth at all was a fortunate thing. You did your best to block out the faint memories of your own wings being lit up all those years ago, and it worked.

Two days after you were released from resting at home you returned to work at the bar for a short while. Your husband said it was important to get the whole ship to yourselves in order to have a peaceful trip to the other island; so it would be a few more days before he was able to reserve a private ferry.

You enjoyed being back at the bar anyway. Not only did your regulars come to check in on you and say that they missed you, none of them brought up what had happened on the news. A lot more people attempted to become patrons just for the sake of gossip, but fortunately Fat Gum and your regular patrons were good about keeping an eye out for those ones. Aizawa and Hizashi were a plus in all the ruckus. Thanks to AFO being taken down a few weeks ago, the crime rates had dropped by a large capacity. Of course there were still criminals here and there but nothing like it had been shortly after Stains video leaked to the public.

A few hours go by on your regular shift. You notice you are wearing out easier than you did before; you could've gone up to 8 hours without taking a break but now you were exhausted pushing 4. Fortunately for you, Aizawa wanders into the building a few moments later. He sits down at your bar and asks for his usual: sake. You pour it and slide it over, in return he passes you a Manila envelope.

You pull it closer to you by your fingertips and cock an eyebrow at him. "What's this?"

"We should go to the break room." He replied after he took a sip of his drink.

You call out to Fat Gum that you're going on break and he signals that he heard you with a thumbs up. You carry the Manila envelope with carefulness when you lead him into the break room. You're still adjusting to seeing him with the eyepatch and his prosthetic leg, but it's growing on you. You open the door and close it behind him. He pulls out a chair for you at the table in a quiet thanks.

"How are you?" He asks you the second that you set the Manila folder down. "With the news and all."

"It's been kinda rough." You admitted, letting out a gentle sigh. "Being pregnant isn't helping at all, but Hawks and I haven't fought like we did before." You felt awkward talking about your issues with your husband, so you redirected the topic onto Aizawa. "What about you?"

"It's strange not having my leg anymore." He takes another sip of his sake. "I can still feel it sometimes, and I dream about the fight a lot. Says it's called Phantom Limb Pain or whatever. Otherwise nothing's changed. School's good. My students are quiet, though." He finishes with closed eyes, like he's processing what the nation is still recovering from.

"It does feel like the whole country's gone quiet, hasn't it?" You agreed sullenly. "Anyway, what did you bring me?" You tapped your finger on the folder, waiting for his answer before you opened it.