ovi. tumors and venus

1.06

Atlas entered a patients room not long after he got to work. He had helped Derek sneak out of his house before his siblings woke up, of course his parents noticed—would they say anything?—yes, yes they would, they just haven't yet.

"Good morning." Atlas greets the room, not talking to anyone particular.

Alex leans down to the whisper to the patient, "Annie, this is Doctor. Lee—Sunny. Awesome surgeon."

"Doctor. Karev." Miranda or as everyone calls her—Bailey, scolds.

"Psh, Bails. I got this." Atlas slightly moves Alex away from the patient and throws his arm over his shoulder. "What did I say about suckin' up?"

"To not do it."

"Good good. And you just did it right?"

"No."

"Ha. You just lied. Well, I guess some scut tomorrow will do you go. No go present."

Atlas hated people sucking up to him. He felt that if they were really worth the time, they would tell him the cold hard truth he needed—like Christina. She didn't suck up, and told Atlas the cold hard truth. That's why he liked her out of the interns the best (not including his siblings!) because if Atlas fucked up, Christina didn't hesitate to get on his ass for it. Yes—they had only worked two cases together, and yes, those to cases were slightly boring and Atlas let Christina do a few stitched here and there. And why? Because she was exactly like him when he started his own internship. Kinda cold, ruthless, full of ambition, and a glimmer in the eye when the heart rolled around.

Maybe that was why he didn't like Alex. He didn't have that glimmer yet. No passion for any specialty yet. He just wanted to be a surgeon—a butcher. Or maybe the reason he didn't like Alex, was because he sucked up and was an asshole to everyone. But hey, Atlas would tell anyone who sucked up that if they were gonna suck up, to at least buy him coffee.

"Annie Connors is a 43-year-old woman who presented last night with progressive shortness of breath for the past three months. Found to have a very large tumor of unknown origin pressed against her diaphragm. Stable vital signs. Scheduled for CT this morning." Alex presents the case to the doctors.

"Yeah, yeah. Thank you, Dr. Karev." Atlas says to the intern before turning to Annie. "Are you at all claustrophobic?"

"I've been housebound for the last year. How claustrophobic could I be?" Annie says, her voice slightly playful.

"All right then. Doctor. Stevens is going to take you up for a CT. It'll give us a better look at the tumor, and we'll know how to proceed." Doctor Burke says, he was observing and told not to comment which would definitely get a reaction out of Atlas—who was the lead cardio surgeon on the case.

"Could someone tell my mom? She'll worry if she gets back and I'm not here." Annie ask Atlas who nods and smiles.

"Yeah, of course. Of course."

"And would it be possible for Alex to take me instead? I mean, he...He's just so fun to look at." She wasn't wrong, if Atlas wasn't hopelessly falling for Derek Shepherd than he would have definitely done a slight more glancing at the hot intern. But in all honesty, Atlas found Derek 110% more handsome, hot, prettier looking than Alex.