cov. 10,000th surgery

8.12

Atlas has met Richard Webber once before he started at Seattle Grace as a cardiothoracic surgeon.

Atlas was taking his boards in San Francisco. He hadn't been studying like everyone told him too, instead he was spending his time in the hotel bar trying to take all the weight of the test of his shoulders.

He had been drinking a bit, not enough to black out, but enough that he wouldn't be able to make decision for himself.  He had been eating; cheese burger after cheese burger, making sure that there were no tomatoes on it knowing he was allergic. That's something he could remember.

Richard had been watching from where he was eating dinner. Mash potatoes and steak with a glass of iced water. He wasn't drinking, and he wouldn't be drinking when he had to test fifth years the next day, and when he was trying to stay sober.

Richard had watched as Atlas stumbled on his way to the bathroom. He didn't follow, but instead he picked up his plate and grabbed his water and moved towards the empty seat at the bar.

When Atlas returned, he didn't question why someone was sitting beside him. Or why his scotch was now a lemonade with little to no ice. Or why he had another burger and fries in front of him, a tomato placed nicely on it between the layers.

"Hi." Atlas had looked over at Richard, smiling despite his drunken state.

Richard looked over, flashing a small smile back. "Hello."

"Are you taking a board? Or being one of the people to run it?" Atlas had asked, dipping a fry in mayo and plopping it in his mouth.

Richard finished his sip of water. "An examiner."

"Oh. Is it fun? I don't think I could be a person to determine someone's career."

"Is that why your drinking?"

"No." Atlas took a bite of his burger, tomato and all. "I just feel like I have to get every single question right other wise I go home and I'm this failure."

"No, no." Richard shook his head, watching as Atlas took another bite of his burger. "No matter what, even if you fail, you couldn't disappoint family."

"Who knows." Atlas dipped his head, looking down and choosing not to look back up at Richard. He had finished his burger by now. Eaten a whole two slices of tomato's that he was extremely allergic too.

When he looked up, his face was red and his lips were turning blue. He wasn't getting enough oxygen since his throat had closed up because of the reaction. He looked to Richard who looked back at him, then, he fell backwards and landed on the floor.

╚═ ☆ ═╝

"Okay, Yang, suction please." Atlas was readying himself to take a sharp fence pole out of a man's chest. It was poking his heart, and if Atlas didn't have control over everything than he would most likely kill his patient. "I'm going to pull it out."

Atlas wrapped both hands around the metal, holding on and pulling slowly to remove it from the man's chest. Blood started to pour from the wound, but Atlas managed to pull it out without causing any other damage.

Now he would have to continue the surgery without any other complications. Or interruptions.

"What are you doing?" Owen Hunt stepped into the operating room, a mask over his mouth.

"I've done this case before, and anyways, the patient requested me. I wouldn't have done it if they didn't." Atlas said, his blood covered gloves holding onto the patients heart. "C, put another pledgeted suture right here please."

Owen tilted his head. "Doctor. Yang stopped and had a nice little chat with me earlier. I —"

"Doctor. Hunt." Atlas started, looking over his shoulder. "Me and Doctor. Yang are hands deep in a patients chest, my hands are holding his heart, one wrong move and this patient will die. If you continue to distract us, his death will be on you."

Owen left with a huff, not wanting to argue anymore with Atlas who would most definitely stab him with a scalpel if he was angry enough.

╚═ ☆ ═╝

"My niece! Oh look how pretty you are." Atlas cooed as he lifted Zola into his arms. She was wearing a cute little pink dress, and a matching bow in her hair that he had boughten her. "You're the birthday girl!"

Atlas grinned when Zola reached out and grabbed his hair, holding it in her little hand as he walked around the living room so anyone could say happy birthday to Zola.

"Doctor. Webber." Atlas waved quickly before he tucked his hand back underneath Zola to help hold her up. "Congratulations on your 10,000 surgery."

"Oh. Thank you, Atlas." Richard stood from his seat, grabbing ahold of a gift bag for Zola. "And look, a gift for the very pretty birthday girl."

Zola babbled, reaching for the tissue paper covering her gift. When she held it in her hands she was happily playing with it well Atlas continued to stand near Richard.

"You know, today is the anniversary of when we met. Sorry. That sounds like we're a thing." Atlas laughed, lips turning upwards.

"I bought you a burger that had tomatoes. Then we had to take you to the emergency room because you couldn't breathe. Ended up taking your tonsils out that night when you revealed that you had a bad case of tonsillitis for the somethin time." Richard nodded along. "First time I ever took out tonsils."

"I'm apart of your 10,000 surgeries! Wow. Again, Doctor. Webber, congratulations." Atlas have Richard a smile that definitely said he was proud, that he was happy for him.

"Thank you, Atlas."

Meredith walked out of the kitchen, her hands holding onto the cake that was once originally for Zola. The word Zola has been scrapped off, Oliver happily eating the icing his wife had given him. All that was left in purple icing was 'yay' which almost looked like 'gag'.

The candles were lit, and Meredith stopped in front of Richard who was sitting down on the couch beside Atlas and Starlee, Oliver having taken Zola into his own arms.

"Happy 10,000tg, Doctor. Webber."