lxiii. pulled out of surgery

5.16

There's nothing like getting pulled out of your surgery, Atlas could tell anyone that that. It was always a surprise, a shock to everyone around. It's not a good thing, someone would say, they would tell you it meant one of two things.

Either there was a patient in much more need of their help, that they were their only change at survival.

Or something bad was happening, it could range from someone dying or being hurt — to a bomb or something else.

Personally, Atlas had never been pulled from his surgery until this very moment. Alex had come and pulled him out of the surgery, leaving the patient with a cardio fellow who was capable of finishing up.

Once Atlas was outside of the OR room, Alex turned to him. "Your fiancé is going crazy."

Those words alone set Atlas into a frenzy, he didn't know if something was wrong. Or what was happening.

Atlas followed Alex towards another OR room down the hall where Derek was standing over a patient's head, it was obvious that he was preforming surgery.

The monitors were beeping erratically when Atlas approached Derek. "Der?" Atlas spoke softly through his surgical mask.

Derek turned towards Atlas briefly, "She's bleeding into the frontal lobe. Now if I can just stop the bleed, save the rest of the brain, she'd have a chance."

"Decels are getting longer." Alex announced, having just sat back down to monitor the baby's heartbeat.

Addison looked to Derek. "Derek, I have to deliver the baby."

Derek looked up quickly then looked back down. "No, she — just — she's lost too much blood. If you cut her now, she'll bleed out. I can save her."

"How?" Addison questioned sternly.

"I have to cut out the frontal lobe."

Atlas sighed, "Derek. Please stop. Let Addie do this."

Derek didn't even bother looking up. "No. I have no choice. Bipolars."

"The baby's heart rate is bottoming out." Alex spoke up.

"Damn it, Derek." Addison muttered with frustration. "Okay, damn it. We've gone... this has gone too far. Taking the frontal lobe out, even if she does live, you are creating a monster." Addison started to raise her voice, "You don't get to play god here, Derek. Jen is gone, but this baby has a chance to live."