lxxxv. hauntings we hold

post 6.24 , pre 7.01

tw — read with caution
( shootings, blood(?), sleep problems, ptsd, and more  )

It's been two days since the shooting at Seattle Grace Mercy West, and Atlas had not been improving in any way. His wound was slowly becoming infected, most likely caused by the fact that his treatment he had gotten right after being shot was rushed and no offence to April or El, but slightly sloppy. Then again, it didn't help that Atlas wouldn't stop moving.

Even after being admitted to Seattle Pres, Atlas had managed to stay by his husbands side for most of the time. No doctor was going to argue, nor were any of the nurses. They all saw how this was affecting everyone, and they weren't going to make anything worse.

When Atlas wasn't with Derek, he was in his room where Oliver, Eliza, Starlee, and Lilla would be. They visited, Lilla and Starlee would spend the night no matter what.

"Doctor Lee-Sunny, how are you feeling?" One of the Seattle Pres nurses asked as she stepped into the room where Derek was sleeping peacefully in his hospital bed.

"I'm doing fine today, Bree." Atlas smiled towards the nurse as he held Starlee up so she could bounce on her feet. "How are you?"

Nurse Bree handed the young little girl a toy that had been discarded on the floor. "I'm good. Your tests are back, and you are improving. I think we could discharge you tomorrow at the earliest."

Atlas wasn't really sure if he was ready to go back home yet. Derek wouldn't be discharged for a little while longer, and if he had to go home it meant that he'd be alone with ghosts that wouldn't leave. At least at the hospital he could be monitored, given drugs to make sure he slept through the night, he could even stay awake all night in Derek's room if he really wanted.

"That sounds great!" Atlas faked his excitement as he continued to hold his daughter up, the young girl giggling as she played with a toy. "I'm excited to sleep in my own bed."

It'll be empty. Those words echoed in his head as he glanced towards nurse Bree. He hasn't slept alone yet. His mother had pulled her pull out bed right beside his when she stays, both his siblings would be laying half on his hospital bed and half on the pull out bed, and Starlee had slept by his side throughout the hours of the day. He wasn't ready to have such a large bed to himself yet.

Atlas knows he can have someone else sleep in it with him, but it won't be the same unless his husband is with him.

"I'll be back to check on you later, sound good Lee-Sunny?"

╚═ ☆ ═╝

The next day, later in the afternoon, Atlas was filling out the last of some paperwork so he could be discharged from the hospital. Of course he was filling it out slower and was trying to avoid the fact that tonight his brother would be staying with Meredith, Eliza was staying with Alex and his mother had offered to take Starlee incase something went wrong and Atlas woke up screaming. His dog Snacks, would be the only thing by his side tonight when he would get into the large king sized bed all by himself. 

"Everything signed?" Nurse Bree asked as she stepped into the room with a description bag in hand. 

Atlas nodded and handed the woman his stack of papers, "All done." 

Nurse Bree seemed happy with that answer as she quickly looked through the paperwork to make sure that Atlas hadn't forgotten to sign anything. "It looks like everything here. I have some medications for you. One is just an antibiotic to help make sure your infection doesn't come back right away, when you're done taking it you shouldn't need another dose. Then we have some sleeping pills. They're only for you to take if you feel like you should, your doctor and the on-call phycologist think it would be a good thing to have just in case. If you need anything for the pain, a simple thing of ibuprofen should do it."

Atlas to the bag from the nurses outreached hand. "Thank you, thank you very much for everything." Everything being the fact that when nurse Bree was the nurse on his case, she has managed to convince everything that visiting hours didn't apply to him, that they always had red cherry jello, and that he could sleep in Dereks room whenever he needed to. 

"Of course, I'm very glad I got to be your nurse. Now get out of here and go see your husband." Bree waved to Atlas as the man gathered one last thing from his room and made his way towards his husbands room only a hallway away. 

"Hey, lover." Atlas smiled at his husband who was sitting up in bed fiddling with the bandage on his chest. "You know, it's not very good to pick at your bandages."

Derek smiled as he looked up. "You never kissed it better."

"That so? I gotta kiss it better, huh?" Atlas started to step forward, his hands reaching out and gently handing on his  husbands side. He leaned down and gently placed a kiss on top of his husbands bandage, the bandage that hid the bullet would from the world. "Is that better, love?"

"All better, baby."