xxv. babysitting

xxv. babysitting
2.20

Derek and Atlas are waking down some trail in the park, Snacks is running ahead barking. His yellow leash tucked into Atlas's pocket.

Derek picks up a stick of the ground and throws it far and Snacks chases after it. Atlas is walking beside Derek when he turns to look at his friend, "Why snacks?"

Atlas lets out a groan, everyone having asked him why the dogs name was 'snacks'. "It was unique."

"How's your and Finn? The teacher?"

Atlas's smile drops, "we broke up."

"What, why?" Derek snaps his Atlas.

"He, uh, just had something else planned for his life, we had different plans."

Atlas takes a swig of his water bottle to avoid any more questions about the break up. Derek doesn't catch that Atlas doesn't wanna talk about it anymore though. "How'd the interns take it?"

"They were sad — especially Oliver and Izzie. Anyways, what about you, don't you have any problems you want to tell me about?"

"Truthfully, at this moment in time I don't have any problems. Not a single one." Atlas smiled gently at Derek who's eyes were filled with some kind of happiness.

╚═ ☆ ═╝

Atlas, along with the interns stand together in Denny's patient room. This was the first time that he had been called onto this particular case — Burke had felt like he could use another hand despite being the cardio chief.

"Denny Duquette. Age 36." Izzie starts.

"37 in 3 weeks." Denny, the patient smiles at Izzie.

Izzie returns the smile, "37 in 3 weeks. He's having difficulty breathing and chest pains." She presents.

"How are his breath sounds?" Atlas looks up from Bailey's baby — William Bailey Jones ( also known as Tuck ) who's trucked into the mothers arms.

"Still a little junky. He has a build up fluid in his system." Izzie answers looking over to Atlas.

"Hey did you just call me a junkie?" Izzie tries not to smile shaking her head. "That's not very nice."

"Denny, you're congestive heart failure is getting worse despite the meds." Burke says to the patient.

Denny nods, "Alright so how do we proceed?"

"Doctors how do we proceed?" Burke asks the room.

Izzie goes to answer but Alex beats her to it, "Titrate up his nitrate drip and continue with diuretics plus—"

Izzie interrupts Alex, "ACE-inhibitors, Beta-blockers and start dobutamine."

Atlas chuckles at the childish behaviours.

"I also want his ins and outs recorded and one of you monitoring him at all times." Burke pointedly looks at all the interns.

Izzie immediately puts up her hand, "I'll stay."

"Me too." Alex, who feels threatened moves closer the patients bed.