cvi. what if things were different

8.13

Atlas sat around a conference table, his hands interlocked on top of a stack of paper. He didn't smile when Ellis Grey, the chief of surgery at Seattle Grace opened the door and stepped through.

"I've been looking at Seattle Pres' numbers, and I think we can absorb them the way we did Mercy West." Ellis placed her folder on the table, shifting in her seat. "I want reports on where your departments can use extra residents and equipment."

Addison Montgomery - Shepherd leaned forward. "Congratulations on your third Harper Avery Award." The room clapped their hands in congratulations.

"Portal vein reconstruction, pretty soon they're gonna rename the whipple the Grey." Arizona Robbins spoke, she grinned at Ellis Grey.

Ellis laughed, "Thank you. Well, there's some press here today — fyi. Okay, let's go. Trauma."

Owen looked up. "Uh. Abdominal closure on an m.v.c, and we'll wait to see what comes in."

"Neuro?"

"I have a laminectomy." Derek pressed his lips into a line. He leaned back in his chair when he was done talking.

"Just one? You got a golf game?" The room chuckled at Ellis words. "You know what, people? I keep saying it. If you're not innovating, be generating. Cardio?"

Callie Torres looked up from where she had been sitting, her chin upwards as she displayed so much confidence. "Yang is doing a solo thoracic aortic aneurysm. Oh, uh, and also, I'll be checking in on my kid with the artificial king who is waiting for a transplant."

Arizona Robbins raised her hand slightly, gaining the attention of the room as she started to talk. "Yeah, can I just say for the record that he's my patient, and I don't agree with this method of treatment. The fda had not approved an artificial lung on children."

"Well, I got emergent approval. It buys the kid more time, it keeps him from being ventilated and sedated. I think it's worth exploring." Callie was quick to add, her voice strict as she sent a quick look towards Arizona who was trying to make her scrap the methods she was using.

"He should be sedated. Let his body heal. This is just too risky."

Ellis didn't even seem fazed as she looked towards Derek Shepherd. "Its innovative, Shepherd. That is what I'm talking about. Let's hope it works."

"Plastics?"

Atlas peaked up from where he had been sitting, drawing squiggles on a piece of paper. He flashed a smile, "A full facial transplant."