ciii. softball

ciii. softball
8.07

Sports, you either like them or you don't. Luckily Atlas liked sports, softball and track were his most favourite sports he had done in high school. Of course, Derek would much rather be sitting on a little boat fishing, but he didn't mind softball. Especially when he could watch his husband run to get the ball. ( he was looking at his butt! )

"Hustle!" Someone yelled when Meredith, Christina and Eliza shrieked when the yellow softball landed beside their heads.

Oliver and Alex bumped into each other as they attempted to grab ahold of the ball. The two rolled, laughing as Christina and Meredith screamed at them.

Atlas and Bailey stood side by side, watching as the five fifth year residents all stood together and talked. "You think you'll let Meredith back on your service?"

"No." Miranda shook her head as someone ran past her and Atlas. "You still letting her on your service?"

"I have to teach her, Bails. It's my job." Atlas shrugged, his glove resting against the top of his head. He would teach anyone who wanted to learn, even if the person had destroyed his husbands trial.

"I'm your person." Bailey grumpily whined, "Aren't you supposed to not let her on your service?"

"I don't know how the whole person thing works, Christina nor Eliza ever tell me." Atlas muttered, gazing towards where a group of people were walking up towards the fences.

Lexie watched from where she was as some girl walked up towards Venus, her ex-girlfriend. They broke up a little while ago — but she's still head over heals for the cardio nurse — and she's been with Jackson well Venus's been sleeping around. Or apparently she's with some eye doctor from another hospital.

Lexie is jealous. So freaking jealous and she wants nothing more than to reach the woman she's in love with and just kiss her and profess her undying love.

"Think they'll last?" Lexie muttered to Mark, who was sitting against the bench with his son against his chest.

Mark turned his head to look at Lexie, "Lexie, I may be your wing man, but if you really really love Venus then do something. Say something. Don't let it be pushed down for so long."

"Yeah, I'm gonna go say something."

"Now?!"

╚═ ☆ ═╝

"She had it." Christina muttered as she let her arms fall to her side. Atlas was one of her teachers since she entered the hospital on her first day, and he's been such a great mentor, but she hated it when he would ask questions more than once. "April had it, she was there."

"We're done." Atlas spoke softly, kindly. "You've graduated."

"I graduated?" Christina asked confused, her eyes widened at the odd words. "Huh?"

Atlas stuffed his hands into his pocket, pulling a pen and small notebook from it. "Me and Altman talked it out. You've graduated."

"What does that mean?!" Christina threw her hands up, refusing to grab the pretty pen and notebook until she was given some kind of explanation.

"In the beginning of your residency, you would have done anything to be on a cardio case. In the beginning of your fifth year you almost killed Alex Karev. Today, you let April Kepner do something you could have done. She told you to do it, but you denied and you helped her do it step by step." Atlas placed the pen and notebook with actual hearts scattered around it, into her hands. "You've grown, and I am so so proud. So as your gift, we want you to write any surgery that you'd like to do before your board and we'll try and make it happen."

"You're proud?"

"So very proud, C."

╚═ ☆ ═╝

It was game time, not practice, game time. Atlas was up to hit the ball, with his fancy baseball bat that Owen had handed him when he stepped up to the plate.

The pitcher from the other team threw the softball and Atlas swung and hit it. His team cheered as he dropped the bat against the ground. Atlas ran, or more so jogged until he reached first base.

"Whoo!" Oliver cheered from where he stood on third base. He was jumping and waving towards his older brother. Atlas waved back.

Derek was up next. He bent his knees and swung when the yellow ball came flying towards him. He hit it and ran, or he ran until someone from the other team caught his ball.

Seattle Grace Mercy West was failing at softball and it showed. They weren't prepared and very little of them had actually wanted to participate, most of them wanted to drink the free beer someone had brought.

The team with blue jerseys made their was onto the field. Teddy was pitching, Oliver was at third base, Eliza was first base, Atlas was outfield along with a few others.

It was a shit show. Teddy couldn't pitch for the life of her, she sucked and eventually she would give the other team a free run to first base.

"Bails! No! Don't yell at the residents!" Atlas yelled out when he saw his person waving her hands around and saying things as loud as she could. "Bailey!"  Atlas forgot about the game he was playing, and ran towards his person and the residents.

"No. Atlas." Richard muttered and stuck his hand out like a mom slamming on the breaks so she didn't run the red light. "I've got this." Richard stood tall and steady. "Shut up! The both of you."

Meredith and Bailey were quick to stop talking, Atlas and Christina shared a look as they chuckled quietly.

Richard Webber looked to Bailey first. "Now you ... you have a lot of nerve, rubbing Meredith's nose in her mistakes when you can't fix your own. Your trial is failing. Like it or not, you need her." Then he looked to Meredith to give her her own speech. "And you, even your mom, the great Ellis Grey, made a mistake. You fixed hers. Now fix your own. Get out of those ridiculous pink scrubs and get back to the work you were born to do."  Then he took a slight step and looked between the both of them. "Now the two of you are gonna figure out a way to work together, but you're not gonna do it on this field. You'll do it monday morning in the lab. Is that clear?"

Meredith nodded. "Yes."

"Mm-hmm." Bailey muttered.

Christina and Atlas were grinning as they watched the interaction between the three of them.

"Play ball!" Richard yelled out, walking away from the group of people and back towards where the rest of his team was.

When Atlas made it back to where he was supposed to be, Lexie was up to pitch and she looked irritated. She kept glancing at Julia and Venus who were acting all lovey.     Without thinking much, Lexie whirled the ball towards Julia and hit her right in the chest. Well, she hit her in the boob, let's be honest.

Everyone yelled out at the action, and despite Lexie's claim that Julia was trying to steal second, the other team 'forfeit'  and left.

Atlas ended up pulling Lexie beside and congratulating her on her wicked throw.