cviii. christmas special

no set season or episode

Atlas decided that he would make chocolate chip pancakes. It was the night before Christmas, and that's what he was making for dinner.

"Atly?" Cameron peaked up from where he was sitting at the kitchen island, a colouring book and crayons scattered along the counter top.

Atlas whirled around, a bowl tucked in his arms and a wooden spoon in one of his hands, mixing the batter. "What's up, Cammy?"

Cameron smiled, yet he held out a pink crayon. "Will you colour with me?"

How could Atlas say no; the small cubby cheeks and curly blond hair just made it so he couldn't. Setting down the pancake batter, he stepped around the kitchen island and towards an empty stood beside Cameron. "Of course."

And so they coloured. For a whole forty five minutes before the doorbell rung and Cameron slid from his chair and ran towards the front door. Cameron hasn't ever never known if that was good, or if he was ever allowed to go open the door. He's never been anyways other than the little room the adoption agency provided.

"Can I answer?" Cameron yelled out, peaking his head around the corner. He was little, short, yet he could reach the handle without any problem.

Atlas nodded, moving around the kitchen and leaving all the cooking and colour things scattered amongst the kitchen island. He walked and stood behind his adoptive son, making sure that it was who he had invited to his home and not a stranger.

"Atlas!" Oliver grinned at his older brother before he looked down, his smile widening. "Cam-cam!"

Behind him stood Lilla, the mother of the three Lee-Sunny children. Eliza, Mark and their baby Brian. Meredith, who held Zola in her arms, a small smile gracing his lips.

Atlas waved his family in, moving him and Cameron out of the way so everyone could step into the welcoming home.

"Atlas! You left a mess in the kitchen." Derek peaked out from around the corner, Starlee in his arms. He had pancake batter on his nose, no doubt from Starlee who must have dipped her fingers in the ooey-gooey batter.

"Oh, yes!" Atlas left everyone else, making his way back to the kitchen where he gazed at his chocolate chip pancake batter that he had forgotten all about.

Derek chuckled, stepping forward and welcoming everyone into the home. "We didn't decorate the tree yet, we figured you all would wanna help."

Mark grinned, holding up a handful of presents that everyone had handed him. Oliver had handed him the ones from Meredith, himself and Zola. Lila had carried her own, but when Eliza elbowed him in the side, he was more than happy to take the older womans.

"That would be great, thanks Der." Mark stepped into the living room, having kicked his shoes off at the door. "Under the tree?"

"Of course."

Lilla was the last to enter the home, quickly taking her shoes off and moving towards her son-in-law for a long awaited hug. "Hi, honey."

"Hi, Lilla." Derek hugged the woman back with one arm, his other arm still holding Starlee to his side. "How have you been."

Christmas wasn't always easy for Lilla. She's lost her husband, and her children have grown up. She still decorated her own tree, and left presents underneath the tree, yet it didn't feel the same.

"Good, good. And you? How's Cameron?" Lilla smiled, taking her jacket off and placing it on one of the hangers in the entrance way.

Derek smiled, placing Starlee on the ground beside his feet. The young girl running towards where her aunts and uncles were. "I'm good, everything's been good lately. And Cameron is settling in well."

"That's lovely. How about I go help Atlas, and you go get everything ready for us to decorate the tree."

Lilla walked off towards the kitchen, leaving Derek to go to the living room where everyone else was, other than his husband and mother-in-law.

╚═ 🎄 ═╝

The tree was decorated.

A large yellow glowing star was placed on the top of said tree. Glowing lights we're strung around the tree, colours lighting it up.

And now, everyone was sitting around the living room, ready to open presents. Well, Atlas just finished handing out presents, everyone holding them in their hands.

Starlee opened hers first, with the help of Derek. Inside was a doll, one that she had been grabbing at everyone they went grocery shopping. It was dressed as a doctor, and even though she didn't have a whole bunch of idea what it was, she squealed and grinned.

Zola didn't waste any time in un wrapping her gift as well. She opened it up, eyeing a large child friendly medical kit she had pointed out when she had been with Atlas one day. There was a pink lab coat, and a purple stethoscope. She loved it.

Cameron slowly opened his gift. It's his first Christmas with the Lee-Sunny family and everyone else. Inside was was a picture frame decorated with stickers and smiley faces. The picture inside, it had been taken in the courtroom where Cameron officially became a Lee-Sunny. Underneath it, was a adorable stuffed bear that said "we love you!" when you pressed it's paw.  Cameron cried when he pressed the paw, throwing himself into his adoptive fathers arms.

Atlas had gotten a new scrub cap with baking supplies on it. Lilla got a new cook book she had been wanting. Mark got a new watch that he asked for. Eliza got a new set of socks and mittens, a hoodie too. Baby Brian got some bath toys. Oliver got tickets to see his favourite artist. Meredith got the new stethoscope she had asked for. Derek got a new scrub cap too.

╚═ 🎄 ═╝

"I have a gift for you." Atlas stepped into his and Derek's room. It was late, and they had just finished wrapping the last of the gifts that needed to go under the tree.

"Oh?" Derek narrowed his eyes at his husband, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I already put yours under the tree."

"That's okay, I want you to have to have this now." Atlas handed Derek a small bag. "I — uh, well, got it from your mom. She was kind enough to give it to me."

Derek furrowed his eyes brows, slowly opening the bag and gazing at the small box inside. It was a watch box, containing a box that most definitely held a watch.

"A watch?"

Atlas nodded.

"Atlas..."

Inside, was Derek Shepherds fathers watch.