xciv. big news and a talk with grey

7.15

Simple is not a word Atlas uses very often, why would he? He's a doctor with a wide arrangement of words he could use, some like straightforward and unornamented. Now Atlas, he uses simple very rarely, but when he uses it, he uses it to describe how his daughter is simply simple.

Atlas loves Starlee with his whole heart. He'll always see her as the child gifted to him because of unfortunate circumstances, but he'll also always see her as his daughter, his little star.

"My baby, hi." Atlas spoke softly, kneeling down to pick a sleeping Starlee up off the floor. She must have fallen asleep well playing with her toys, it would make sense since there was a verity of toys around her.

Starlee let out a small groan, the little girl shifting in her sleep before she rested her head in the crock of her fathers neck. 

Atlas carried her towards her room, a small toddler bed with pretty blue blankets that Starlee had picked out was where he laid her down and tucked her in. He placed a kiss to her forehead before making sure she was snug and had her favourite teddy bear with her. "Goodnight, Star."

Derek was in the living room, papers scattered around him on the living room coffee table. He's working on things for his Alzheimers trial. Or at least that's what Atlas had seen him doing when he carried his daughter up the stairs, now he might be doing something different.

Atlas is right. His husband isn't in the living room anymore, but instead his husband is in the kitchen, a phone to his ear and hands inside the pantry as he try's to find something. Derek's looking for flour, and coco, and things that Atlas typically uses to bake with — he knows his husbands gonna wanna bake when he finds out who's on the phone.

"Der?" Atlas stepped into the kitchen, a hoodie halfway on his body. "I thought you were doing paperwork?"

"Wanna make cupcakes?" Derek whirled around, smiling brightly that Atlas was taken back.

"Cupcakes?" Atlas brushed it off, smiling back at his husband. "Der, if you didn't wanna do the paperwork we could have just gone in early tomorrow."

"The adoption agency called."

Atlas was pretty sure he stopped. Stopped breathing, stopped his beating heart, stopped blinking, stopped thinking, stopped it all.

"They said that we've been approved. Everything. We've been given the okay to adopt, we just have to wait a little while for paperwork to come through." Derek tearfully smiled. "I missed the phone call. But I keep listening to the message."