Chapter 4

Omega's POV

I woke up and blinked, sitting up. I coughed, and a sticky red liquid dripped off my hand.

I sighed and stood up and went to the bathroom. I looked into the mirror as I washed my hands and mouth. Dark circles had formed because of restless sleep. My hair was a rats nest. I leaned on one foot and dressed, which was pretty hard to do. I put on my cloak and grabbed my crutches. I felt bulky with all the bandages.

I went to the beach, and went to my small black cabin.

The door creaked as I opened it. The small bed wasn't made, and there were a few socks on the floor. I sat down on the bed, tired. I was getting hurt so much now I was here. Maybe it would get better now. I ran my fingers on my sheets, turning them blue. The carpet turned a dark blue. The walls became oak, and the dresser became the same color.

Brighter.

Cozier.

The light on the ceiling seemed brighter. I turned the lamp on. I sighed and layed on my bed. I felt dizzy. Moving a little bit was hard. I gingerly felt the bandages around my abdomen. My fingers found the bandage in my hair. I ran a finger though my hair unconsciously.

Old habits.

I reached for my pillow and held it tight. I felt cold, even with my cloak. My hand went to my hard, black mask. It went to my nose, and didn't cover my mouth. The door opened.

"Omega!"

Victor came in. "Do you know how worried I was? You just suddenly dissapeared!"

I sat up, suddenly feeling dizzy again. He looked shaken up.

"I'm okay."

"Next time, leave a note. You really are okay?"

I nodded.

"Take this medicine and get some rest. Go back to the infirmary."

"Can I stay here?" I felt like I was going to fall over if I tried to go back.

He stared at me. "You really are okay?"

"Yes."

He sighed. "It's okay." he closed the windows. "Its cold here. Don't go out."

"Okay."

He looked back. "Come out to eat if you can. And don't forget to change your bandages. Tell me if you feel sick. And-"

"I know Victor."

I he wouldn't leave. He looked at me with worried eyes.

"I'll take care."

He left reculently. I tried to stand up, but sat right back down. I massaged my temples and layed down again. Oh.

The medicine.

I stood up, and went wobbling to the small desk and sat down on the chair. I sighed and swallowed the two pills with water. I looked at the bed, then the door.

The sea. I went to the window and looked out. No Victor.

I opened the door and nearly tripped over the stairs. I leaned on my crutches and limped to the shore. The cold wind slapped my face. It was cold, but I took off my shoes and socks and dipped my toes into the sea. I felt better.

"Poseidon?"

I stared into the gray winter sea.

"Are you busy?"

I sighed as there was no reply.

"I brought Annabeth to life. I know we can't win this without her. I'm weaker here. Tartarus knows me well. Too well." my head dropped. "I feel helpless sometimes. Even more now I'm here. I'm weak actually. I can't heal like gods do, conjure up money all the time, and change into many forms." I sighed. "I wanted power. I wanted the power to keep my loved ones safe. But its that hard to make loved ones now. Tartarus-" I took a shaky breath. "He's going to kill them all. If I get close to one person, they all end up dying. I knew I shouldn't of brought Andrew here. I knew I shouldn't of stayed with Kayla. I know I shouldn't stay so close with Victor. And I want to keep them safe." I swallowed.

"I don't want to see all of them die anymore. I can't let them die. Wont let them. I'm not going to lose."

"Nobody wants to lose, don't they?"

Annabeth sat down next to me. "Aren't you cold?" she asked, shivering.

I took off my cloak, because there was a thick hoodie underneath.

she smiled and put it over her shoulders. "I heard about Andrew. And everything else. She looked at me with her gray eyes.

"Thanks."

"Why?"

"Cloak."

"Oh."

"Percy liked the sea." Annabeth said. "He even came out when it was cold. He took off his shoes and socks, and dug his feet into the sand. Just like you." she said.

I stared at my feet. Old habits.

"Do you... Like the sea?"

Her eyes turned a lighter gray as she turned to the sea."I don't know. It reminds me of Percy. Kinda sad, but I know he's coming back." she smiled softly. "He promised you know. He wouldn't ever dissapear."

"Oh." I stuck my finger into the sand and drew lines in the sand.

"You had black hair."

"Oh. Yeah." a hand went to my hair.

"How did you start?" Annabeth asked. "They wouldn't tell me that."

"I went to the Chaos army with nothing. I had left everything back on my planet. I started from the bottom, just like everyone."

She frowned. "But Luke told me he was Commander when he had came."

"He had caught Chaos's eye." I said. "He was powerful. Smart. So he put him up there with all his friends."

"Oh. Then how did you go up?"

"Every 5000 years, we have this... fight."

"If you were that powerful, why didn't Chaos pick you out like Luke?"

"I wasn't dead. I never was."

She nodded. "Can you explain... This fight?"

I bit my lip. "People who want to go are put in. The lowest ranks fight first. The one who wins goes up, and the one that is last fights the Commander, and if that soldier wins, that soldier is Commander." I pursed my lips. "Usually, we kill."

"What?"

"Thats the best way. Soldiers always want to go up. Luke had many problems because he came up without being a soldier. Killing everyone shows you aren't weak." I looked at her. "But they don't kill every time."

I remembered the one that came up all the way to face me. He was a son of Zeus. I closed my eyes. He had ended so quickly. Blood on my hands.

I didn't want to remember.

"What did you do?"

I paused.

"I killed all of them. All of them." I looked up at the sky. "I didn't know I could. It was the first time I used that power to kill someone. I didn't know I could kill someone in such a gruesome way." I closed my eyes. "Chaos had told me to. Do it if you could. I don't think he treally thought I would kill them all. I-" my voice broke. "I don't know why I was so hungry. So angry."

"Its okay. You told me. You wanted to keep your loved ones safe." she smiled at me. A real one. "You look like someone who would do anything to save people you love."

"You're nicer than you think. You don't look like that you know. Keep your cloak off. I like your hair. Wear brighter clothes. You would look much nicer."

"I can't. You know what happens."

"I'll watch out. You can keep everyone safe now. You're strong. You can do it."

I leaned back. "Its a long time since I heard that."

She laughed. "And its a long time since I said this."