Chapter 37

Omega's POV

"I like you."

Annabeth furrowed her eyebrows. "What?"
I took a deep breath. Even if I had done this before, I was nervous. I knew her answer, but I had to try.

"I really really like you Annabeth. The way you laugh, smile, frown- really. I like everything about you. I would like it-"

"No." she cut off.
I was silent.
"I'm sorry Omega, but I have someone else I like, and I'm waiting for him. I told you, I can't love two people at once." Annabeth said. "I'm so, so sorry."
She started to leave the lake, but my words stopped her.
"Don't be sorry."
"Why?"
"I expected it. And I'm going to change your mind."
she turned back, amused. "How?"

I took one step towards her. I had already thought of this situation, and despite her answer, I felt pleased that it was going on like I predicted. My eyes twinkled at her.
"A bet."
"What kind of?"
"Like Zeus and Hera. You say you like me, or whatever of that kind- you go out with me."
Annabeth shook her head. "That ended in trickery."

"I swear on the river Styx that I will not use trickery."

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "It will be impossible."
I smiled. "You think?"
She snorted. "You're hopeless."
"Oh. Atleast take this." I fumbled with the box and gave it to her.
She opened the box. "A ring."
"It has nothing to do with the bet. It's just..." my mood downed. "Just keep it. Please."
Sensing my desperation, she put the ring on her finger. "If thats all done, I'll be going. Thanks for the ring."
"Lets go together."
We walked in awkwardness to the Athena cabin. She tucked her hair behind her ear nervously, and I smiled at her.

It was nice just being with her.

~~

It had spread outhrough camp about our bet.

Everyone knew that I liked Annabeth, which I didn't care about. The Aphrodite cabin thought it was tragic, because Annabeth didn't like me back, but I was too happy to make the story come true. Annabeth looked flustered as the Aphrodite cabin interrogated her. Some campers came up to me, but seemed flustered themselfs because I answered to everything. After breakfast, I went to Annabeth.
"Hey."
her head whipped around to see me.
"Hi?"
"Can you come to the beach after eating?"
She nodded slowly. "Sure."
I walked to the beach, slowly.

Annabeth doesn't like you.

"Shut up Tartarus."

you know. You know everything.

I clenched my fists. "Look. You seem to be misunderstanding-"

She will die soon.

I was frozen. "What?"

Not today. Not tommorow.

But at a time when you aren't there.

~~

Annabeth's POV

I was scared.

No.

I was terrified.

I felt like that Omega would use me. He was powerful, and known for being cold. Yes, he had shown me his weak spots, but what if that was all a ploy? He seemed like a good person, which made me even more suspicious.

Why would a Chaos soldier- heck, the Commander like me?

I wasn't pretty. I was awkwardly tall, and somewhat skinny. The only powers I had was thinking.

And he-

He was beautiful, powerful, and just... Perfect. He was lonely, and his past was shaded from me.

Yup. Totally trustable.

Anyway, when I saw him sitting at the beach, I somehow felt sorry for him.

He looked so lonely.

Maybe it was just the bleary beach making me think so. Maybe it was his dark clothes. But when I had sat down next to him, his head fell on my shoulder. "Why is it me?"
His voice was lost, hoarse, and somewhat like a little boy. He buried his hand into my shirt.
"If it wasn't for him- I wouldn't of left. I wouldn't be stuck in this situation. And you would be safe. And I wouldn't have this mask. And you wouldn't be scared."

He knew?

"You would be safe." he mumbled again, like if he liked the words. "You would be safe."

"Why did you want me to come?"

he was silent. I knew what he was saying.

Please stay here.

Please stay safe.

~

Omega was talking to Chiron, which meant bad news.

I went up to them.
"Whats happening?"
Omega's eyes were stormy. "I had a message. From Tartarus."

Tartarus.

The words sent chills up my spine. Tartarus. I knew why I was brought up here. To fight Tartarus. Omega seemed shaken up.
"He will attack. Soon. We don't know when."
Chiron looked weary. "We have to get ready for an attack."
Omega nodded. "Everyone execpt Bianca is ready to fight. She broke an arm."
Chiron nodded. His tail swished back and forth. I could tell he was nervous.
"The borders. Wouldn't they stop the monsters?"
"Maybe some, the weaker ones but the strong ones would get through. The tree is weak."
"What if someone cuts it again?"
"We have to get another guard. For now, I put up an invisible force field, so it would be protected right now." Omega said, his eyes darting around.
I nodded. My heart felt heavy. The pressure was getting to my head. I trudged to the Athena cabin and tried to read a book to clear my thoughts. It only made everything more complicated. I sighed and rubbed my eyes. What would I do?
"Percy. What do I do now?"

903 words excluding this.

Omega's proposal was short, I'm sorry about that. But the bet will be fun.

I bet 60 cookies.

Yes. I will be typing 60 cookies when the bet ends if it isn't fun. So tell me when it does.

Buh bye.

Elizabeth~