Chapter 44

What do we call this ship?

anyway, I ship it!

Victor's POV

After getting all the blood off of him, I started bandaging his head.

I did it slowly and carefully, so that he wouldn't wake up. I used tape to put the ends together and sat down next to the bed, tired. I held his hand, which was as cold as ice. I glanced at the dresser, where there was a paper. I unfolded it and saw that it was a letter saying that the Chaos army didn't have to come. I watched him carefully. I ripped the letter into pieces and threw it away. I took out a new piece of paper and tried to write in his messy handwriting. I folded it carefully and sealed it in an envelope. Hopefully he wouldn't remember that he had not sealed it. I left it at the same spot and looked out the window to see Eos touch the horizon with her rosy fingers. I left his cabin silently after leaving a note on his dresser. I let my shoes sink into the sand, and after one single glance at his cabin, I went back to the Apollo cabin.

~

I had about 30 seconds to catch my breath.

After a whole morning of running around in the infirmary, I was completely breathless and in great need of a nap. I shook my head. It was tiring work, and I thought about retiring alot. But then I wouldn't be able to see Omega much, who was my only friend. I turned my thoughts to him. He didn't come out for breakfast, like I told him to. He would only pretend to eat anyway. I had told him to stay in his cabin and get some rest, and that I would bring lunch and dinner to him. I looked at my watch to see that I was late. I ran to the operating room.

Oh. Theres Omega.

Wait.

Theres Omega.

I stopped myself and ran towards him and grabbed his arm. He turned around to see me. He seemed to relax when he saw that it was me.
"Oh. Hey."
"I told you to stay in your cabin!"
He rubbed the back of his neck. "I just felt better."
I sighed. "Just please stay in your cabin. I'm busy, so I can't keep watch in front of your cabin. Remember to eat your medicine- 30 minutes after meals. Oh. And if that scar bleeds through that bandages, have a medic look at it. Don't move around so much- or that limp is going to get worse. I'm sure you can take care of yourself. Right?"
He smiled. "Of course. You should get going now."
I ran off, and looked back once to give him one last worried glance.

He would be fine.

Perfectly fine.

~

Omega's POV

"She's not here?"

The Athena kid nodded and slipped back in the cabin. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. The effort coming here wasn't worth it. My head still throbbed from last night's dream. I limped back to my cabin slowly, and I stopped at the arena. Annabeth was there, teaching campers. She showed a move slowly and carefully so the campers could follow. She started to pair up campers. I wanted to go and talk to her, but I rethought it because I could distract her and I saw a few Aphrodite kids. I smiled at her. It was nice just to see her, even if it was far away. I limped past the arena, feeling much better.

It was worth it.

~

Victor set a plate of lasagna on the dresser.

"That smells nice."

"Yes." he said, distracted. He scanned me, and sighed.
"I told you to get someone look at it if that cut bleeds through the bandages."
I felt it. "Oh. I didn't know."
He started unbandaging my head. "You might need stitches. Stay still."
I stop fidgeting.
He wiped the blood off with a wet cloth. I winced slightly as his fingers touched the bruise that overlapped with the messy cut. He spread something on the cut, and put back clean bandages.
"I don't think you'll need stitches. He handed me a jar full of a translucent blue gel. "When it bleeds through, just spread this on the cut. It stops the bleeding." He set a set of a plastic spoon and fork on the dresser. "Eat all of it- don't leave leftovers. Don't worry about sacrificing food. Got it?"
I nodded as he zipped his bag and shouldered it. He ran off, and I watched him kick up sand. I sighed.

I felt bad, making him more busy while he already was. He would be tired- he was busy everyday. I ran a hand through my hair and stared at my lunch. I didn't really have an appetite.

Well, I could cooperate.

I sat down on my bed, cross legged with the lasagna in my lap. I chewed the food slowly. It was good. And hot. I ate the rest slowly, and scraped the cheese off the plastic container. I set the container on the dresser and threw the plastic spoon and fork away. I sat back down and felt the bandages on my head. Victor had told me not to go out.

The beach would be fine.

I stepped out of my stuffy cabin and to the clear ocean air. I took a deep breath. Just 5 minutes. I stepped out into the water.

"Poseidon?" I whispered. "Are you there?"
I stared down at my bare feet as the water washed over them. I closed my eyes and spread out my arms.
"Do you think it's okay? Okay to be here?" I put my arms down. "It's a shame we don't have beaches at our planet. I can't see you often."

"Not like you do now."

I turned back, and smiled.
"Poseidon."
He stood up. "Never knew you would like the sea so much. It's irresistible, isn't it?"
"Yes." I sighed. "The sea always calmed me. Even before I became Commander."
"You lived here."
"I dreamed of this place- and it was one of the nights when I had a good dream. I always wanted to come back here."
"Why didn't you?"
I closed my eyes again. "Problems. I had a lot. The reason why I ran away from this place."
"Running away...." Posiedon mused. "Sounds like my son."
"People said I was a lot like Perseus. I don't think he is. He's not a coward."
"I think you are a lot like him. As his father, I know him. And looking at you-" I could feel his smile. "You're not cowardly at all. You could be even braver than my son."

I wanted to cry. I sighed and opened my eyes.
"Thanks."
He shrugged. "I have time. Just say my name. I'll listen."
I smiled sadly. "Are you okay with me and Annabeth?"
"I don't mind, as long as Annabeth's happy. She needs it. And... It's been a long time since we all gave up on waiting for him. So if you can convince her... It would be nice."
I nodded.
"I have to go now, Zeus gave me work saying that I have too much spare time."
"That's a shame. I have to go in too anyway."
"Why?"
"I'm not allowed to go out. Victor forced me to stay in my cabin."
"That must be boring."
"It's nice to rest. And I have time to think."
He nodded. "Thats nice." he gave me one last smile. "I hope I see you soon."
He dissapeared in a cool sea breeze.

I didn't care if someone was listening.

"I hope I do too father."