Chapter 58

Annabeth's POV

Tartarus stood there alone.

Everyone below the hill had their weapons out, completely frozen.
"Tartarus." Jason snarled. "Get out of our camp."
"Oh- I didn't come to attack. I came here to bring someone."

"Omega."

I could see his grotesque smile from miles away.

"Time to come."

Our side burst into a mix of whispers. No. He wouldn't be.
"You did enough." He said smoothly. "Come."
Omega took a step forward. Everyone fell silent.

He couldn't have.

I glanced at Victor. He was pale in horror. He didn't know.

He walked slowly up the hill until he was in front of Tartarus.
He stopped, and my heart nearly did too.

"What do I do now?"

The words he said to me.

The campers started talking among themselfs. Tartarus's smile didn't fade. He put a hand on Omega's shoulder, and he didn't even flinch. He turned him around, to face us. His face showed no expression.
"Now, who would like to fight him?"
I scanned the crowd. Most people were glaring at him. The soldiers and Victor stared at him in shock.
Jason stepped forward. "I will."
Piper grabbed his arm, but he didn't respond to it. His golden sword glinted dangerously in the sun. His blue eyes glared at Omega's calm sea green ones. Omega took a step foward. Jason charged. I adverted my eyes, not wanting to see.

How could he?

He was using me all this time.

Jason was right.

Traitor.

But I didn't hear the clash of swords. Suprised, I looked up to see Jason's sword in his stomach, and Omega as still as a statue.
The camp started talking all over again. Jason looked confused. Victor looked even more horrified.
"Omega." Tartarus tutted. "Thats not right. Try again."
He didn't move.
Faster than lightning, Tartarus stuck his sword in Omega's shoulder and he let out a strangled sound.
"Try. Again." Tartarus snarled.

Where was this going? He wasn't a spy?

The dagger twisted, and I felt sick.
"I know it hurts." he chided. "Try again."
"Never." he said through clenched teeth.Tartarus's smile faded. The dagger was pulled out with a sickening slosh. Tartarus pushed him aside and he fell over easily.

"Disgustingly loyal." he said, examining his nails. "It would have been wonderful to have him on my side, but..." he stared down at him in disgust. "He had some problems coming all the way here. It was easy- using you-" he pointed at Jason. "Thank you for your suspicions. They helped a lot." he added. "And Annabeth. It was quite easy, persuading him to stay silent."

"What will you do now?"

Omega stood up, his blood staining the grass red. He stood tall as he pulled Jason's sword out and threw it to the side. More blood splattered out on the grass. I flinched.

Tartarus smiled.
"Attack."
"You promised." he snarled.
He looked down at Omega. "And when did I keep promises?"
"Didn't I do enough?"
They stood there for a moment, and for a split second, I thought he would just go.

Tartarus's hand grasped his neck, choking him. He scrabbled at his throat, his chest heaving, trying to breath.
"Fool." he snarled. He threw him to the ground and stepped on his head. A sickening crunch was heard a he put his weight on it.

"You guys waited for too long. I apologize."

Hundreds of monsters came out of nowhere.
He unsheathed his sword and pointed it at us.

"Attack."

~

Omega stood up somehow.

He blast a wall of greek fire and vaporized the whole lot.
"Is that all you have?"
Taratarus scowled.
He waved his hand, making twice the amount of monsters.
He reappeared right behind him. I couldn't see what he had done.
"Stay. Still." he moved out from behind him to show his crumpled body. But something was wrong. He was gaping for breath, his whole body shaking in the effort.
"How does it feel like to drown!" he laughed. Omega couldn't reply. Tartarus stabbed his sword in his calf, pinning him down.
"Attack you morons!"
The monsters trampled Omega's already mangled body. It felt like my heart was being smashed and trampled like him. Jason slashed through the first monster.
"Attack!"
I was too shocked to fight properly. I saw Victor fighting his way to Omega. I went next to him, helping him fend off the monsters.
"Do you think he'll be okay?"
this time it was me who asked.
"Of course!" he said fiercely.
Suddenly, a hot burst of greek fire came from where Omega was. I saw him stand up, and monsters fill up the empty spot covered in ashes. The flames had licked my arms and left burns, but they weren't serious, but they hurt a lot. I bit back tears as Victor pushed me back. I knew he meant for me to go to the infirmary, but I ran to Omega, pressing my back on to his, I could feel his blood soak my clothes. He didn't say anything. Maybe he was mad. I bit my lip but kept fighting. Soon, all that was left were a couple of monsters. Tartarus was nowhere to be seen. Omega took a deep breath, and closed his eyes once, and opened them after a count of three. I suddenly felt awkward.

"Uh..."
He turned around arupbtly and grabbed my burnt arms and I flinched.
"Oh gods- did I hurt you with that fire? I'm sorry- I wasn't thinking and-"

"You're not angry."

He stopped dithering and stared at me with unknown eyes.
"Why should I be?"
Jason came up to us. "I'm sorry about..... Everything really. I didn't know."
I stared at Omega. Something was wrong, but I couldn't quite place it. The way he was hunching over-
"We should get you to the infirmary." I said, draping his arm over my shoulder. Jason tried to do the same, but I just made him go to the infirmary. He was injured too. He leaned heavily on me as we went slowly to the infirmary. He stopped suddenly.
"Annabeth-" He choked on his words as he clutched his chest, his face contorted in pain.
"Omega?" I held him up. "Whats wrong?"
He didn't say anything. He couldn't. He collasped onto my shoulder his weight to heavy for me to support. His heart beat in a irregular pattern, to fast, until it suddenly stopped.