Chapter 23

Omega's POV

I thought.
After waking up, I thought.
I stared blankly at the wall, under my blanket. Blood dripped off my hair and into my eyes. I shivered.
No.
Tartarus.
No.
I gnawing pain in my chest became so big it felt like it would eat me up.
Nobody.
Only me.

For once.
Not even Victor knew.
I small sound came out of my mouth, something between a whimper and a stifled scream. I wanted to disappear. Just disappear. I scrunched down smaller if that was possible.

Annabeth.

I hid my face in my knees.
Annabeth.
Where are you?
Help me.
A knife slowly slid across my shoulder.

Annabeth.

Where are you?

The scars made a cross on my shoulder.

Annabeth?

My heart pounded against my chest. I let my hand fall from my shoulder. I let the knife fall. I stared at the crimson blood dripping out of the scars.
No.

This wasn't it.

I hid deeper. I didn't want to go out. I didn't want to see anybody. The throbbing pain became excruciating. My face contorted in one of pain, and my hand clutched my shoulder.

I knew what that knife was.

I had stolen it from Tartarus.

The pain kept me off my thoughts. I felt cold. The pain from my shoulder came in throbbing waves, and all I could do is stifle screams and whimper.

Oh no.

This wasn't what I wanted.

What did I want?

Why am I here?

Why.

No.

Tears dripped down my face. One by one.
Hot, salty ones. Ones that stung and dried and made your skin feel parched when you let them dry.
Ones that made more fall.
I cupped a hand to my mouth and tried to cover my sobs. My whole body shook with sobs. I couldn't cry.
I didn't have the right to.
I did nothing good. Why was I crying? I shouldn't be.
But I was sorry.
"I'm sorry.." I choked out.
Cool hands wiped my tears.
"Me too."
they wrapped around me, and gray eyes stared back at mine.
"Omega." Annabeth said softly.
"Cry. It only gets sadder if you cry like this. When you cry, cry as much as you can. Don't hold it in."
So I sobbed in her arms.

But even she didn't understand

~

Annabeth's POV

"He's not coming out." Victor said hopelessly.
It had been about 30 minutes since i had found Omega crying in his cabin. He had odd wounds on his shoulder and was hurt. I could tell. The pain in his eyes was clear.
I sighed. "Is he okay?"
He shook his head. "Duh not. He's just shivering in the corner of his bed muttering about Tartarus."
"Tartarus." I repeated. "Why."
Victor looked at me carefully.
Before I had met him, I had thought that all Apollo kid's eyes looked happy and trusting. Also bright.
I was wrong.
His eyes were a bright sky blue, but they had a dark feeling. The way he scanned me was completely untrusting, and somewhat hostile.
"I guess I can trust you. But-" He faltered. "Don't pity him."
"I wont."
"Sit down."
I sat down on the first step of Omega's cabin.
"Tartarus visits him. Every night. I don't know exactly."
he sighed.
"I tried really, to know. But we have been apart for a long time. Also, he wont tell me what happens. Now that we are closer to Tartarus, his dreams get stronger."
He closed his eyes. "I'm wondering if he can ever get a good nights sleep."
"He slept fine."
"What?"
"When we were on the quest. He slept soundly. Without a scar in the morning."
He tilted his head and stared at me. He smirked.
"He has a liking for Athena kids by the way."
my cheeks turned red. "That has nothing to do with that!"
"It does. The dreams started when his girlfriend died." he stood up like an old man. "Isn't the sea beautiful?"
I stood up too. "Is there anything I can do?"
He looked back at me. "You pity him."
"No. I know what he's feeling."
"Then go inside. See if you can get that little boy outside."
I sighed and stepped inside the dark cabin.