Chapter 40

Victor's POV

It broke my heart.

As a friend, or his doctor, I shared his pain.

He was crying, scraping at the door to let him out. I could hear him. I was sitting in front the door, in the floor with my back to the wall. I didn't know where his strength came from. He was dying a few hours ago and now he's ripping the door.

Water did wonders.

Suddenly, the sound stopped. A horrible, horrible sound came from behind the door.

He could cry pretty damn well when he wanted to.

Not wanting to hear the sound, I opened the door. He grabbed me by the shoulders before I even knew it.
"Is Annabeth okay? Did... Did it work?"
his eyes pleaded for an answer. I sighed and pryed off his hands gently.
"Do you want to see her?"
he nodded.
I stared at his hand. His left hand was fine, but his right hand's fingernails were ripped and torn. I sighed and poured nectar over them, and they healed quickly.
"Come on. Lets go."
I took him to Annabeth's room. Annabeth looked much better now that the Styx water was gone. Her color had returned. Omega sat next to her bed in the rickety wooden chair. He held her hand with both hands. Her hand fit perfectly in his.
"Thank gods." he mumbled.
I looked at the time. It was time for dinner.
"Omega-"
"Do you think she's dreaming?" he mumbled. "Maybe nightmares?"
he looked weary. "Maybe Tartarus."
"Don't worry." I said fake words. I seemed to be lying a lot these days.
"She'll be fine."

~

Annabeth's POV

I woke up with Omega at my side.

It wasn't bad, but somehow unsettling. His face was weary and worried, but he smiled at me.
"You're awake?"
I sat up. "Looks pretty obvious."
"Feeling okay?"
"Yeah. Can you get me some water?"
He filled a cup on the dresser with water. "Here."
I gulped down the water. The last thing I remembered was something acidic flowing through me, pain coursing through my body. But now it was all gone. I just felt a bit stiff for sleeping for so long. Omega didn't look better. His mask was off, so I could see his face clearly. He was smiling, but it hid a layer of worry, sorrow, and pain.
"I thought you wouldn't wake up."
"Why wouldn't I?"
He wrapped his arms around me, and the salty smell of the sea surrounded me again. "That doesn't matter. As long as you're safe."
"What about you?"
He didn't answer my question. He just squeezed me tight, once and let go of me. He stood up and pecked me on the forehead.
"I'm fine." he whispered. "Just don't..." he sighed. "I'm fine."
he left my room, making me worried. What had happened? I looked at the door, which was slightly ajar. I went to close it, and caught a glimspe of Omega. Blood was running down his cheek from his head. His sword was unsheathed. He kicked the pile of golden dust and let it scatter. The fierce look in his eyes spooked me. He scanned the hallway and went off. I stepped outside cautiously. There was a monster. How did it get in? I shrugged. Tartarus had his own ways. I went back inside to see a tall man wearing black. He turned back.

"Why hello Annabeth. So nice to see you."

~

I froze.

Terror ran through me with my blood, which was pumping too fast. The door closed behind me. I backed up only to have him follow me. With a shaking hand, I held my dagger in front of me. Poker faced, he took my dagger from me swiftly.
"How- Why are you here?"
He smiled evilly. "I wanted to chat." he threw my dagger to the ground and it stuck to the wooden floor. "About Omega." he snarled.
"About Omega?"
He nodded slowly. "You see, he's becoming a... Minor disturbance. He's dangerous." he took one step closer. "He doesn't belong here." one more step. "He can kill you." he snarled, right next to my ear. "He is an evil, deceiving, cold man. He does not love you. He only wants to use you."
"You're worse." I said with a shaky voice. "You are evil, deceiving, and want to kill all of us."
"No. Not all of you." he smiled.

"Only Omega."

"You're an idiot to come and try to convince me."
"Oh no." he sword was at my neck. "I came to trade with you."
I bit my lip. "To do what?"
He slipped a small piece of paper. "Write his name on here. Your hallucinations dissapear."
It was tempting. "If I don't?"
"They get worse."
"What will happen to Omega?"
"He gets a step closer. To me."
"No hallucinations?"
"No hallucinations." he promised. "I swear on the river Styx."
I felt guilty about it. But Nothing bad would happen. It was okay. And my hallucinations would dissapear.

"Fine." I took a deep breath. "Leave me alone now."

I didn't know someone was watching.

~~

I wrote Omega, both greek letter and english on the small piece of paper. I folded it and thought where to hide it. I went to my cabin carefully and put it in one of my blueprints.
"Annabeth?"
I whipped around, suprised. Omega.

Why was he here?

It made me feel so guilty.

"Lets go eat dinner."

~

Omega seemed silent. He was wearing a T-shirt, showing the bandages wrapped around his arms. The appearently were still healing. He had stuck his hands in his pockets.
"So."
I flinched. "Yes?"
He looked amused. "Why do you look like a person that did something wrong?"
I did?
"I do?" I voiced my thoughts.
"Yeah. You just-" he suddenly stopped.
"Omega?"
horror shone in his eyes. For a scary second, it looked like fire was reflected in his eye. He blinked. "Oh. Where was I?"
I frowned. "Are you okay?"
"I'm fine." he glanced at me. "Come on. We're late."
Nearly everyone was gone when we came to ate, so Omega convinced me into sitting at the Chaos table. I sat in front of him, carefully eating my food. He ate very little. I bit my lip and stirred my food.

Nothing serious would happen.

Right?