2.10

"so this kid's the real killer?" noah asked

"yes." sillie nodded.

stiles also nodded. "yeah."

noah shook his head. "no."

"no?" sillie questioned. 

"yes!" stiles exclaimed.

"no," he repeated.

"dad, come on!" stiles stood next to sillie. "everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, ok? so all you have to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

"yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter kara wasn't in harris' class," noah told them.

"dad," sillie urged.

"alright, ok, you're right, sorry. then i guessed they dropped the charges against him?"

noah looked between his kids in disbelief. "no, you know what? they're not dropping the charges."

"exactly."

"but that doesn't prove anything."

"dad!"

"h-" stiles gaped.

"scott, do you believe this?" noah asked.

"oh." stiles and sillie rolled their eyes.

"it's really hard to explain how we know, but you just gotta trust us," scott replied. "we know it's matt."

"yeah, he took harris' car, ok? look, he knew that if a cop found fire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victims were in harris' class, that they'd arrest him."

"matt framed harris, dad," sillie agreed. "come on, just- please?"

"alright, fine," noah caved. "i'll allow the remote possibility, but give me the motive. i mean, why would this kid want most of the two thousand swim team and its coach dead?" 

"isn't it obvoius?" stiles stuck his arms out. "our swim team sucks! they haven't won in, like, six years!"

"no, it's cause he was drowning," sillie explained. "at one of lahey's house swim party things, he got thrown into the pool and no one helped - they just watched. lahey pulled him out and started blaming him for it and shit."

"and you know this how?" noah asked.

"i was there, with camden and derek," she informed. "i went to help but lahey already got matt out."

"is there anyone else who can prove that?"

sillie sighed. "i don't know everyone who was there."

"so no?" 

she hesitated. "yeah, no."

noah huffed. "what do want me to do?"

the trio shared a look.