12. Please don't bring it up again

"Papa?" Matty asked in his sweet little voice.

"What baby?" Louis replied.

It was Sunday afternoon, and as usual Matty had had his chemo during the morning but he was now playing with some action figures in his bed with Louis.

"Wanna go pway pawk" Matty said.

"You know you're not allowed to go to the park Matty" Louis answered.

"But 'm bowed!" Matty complained and dropped his action figure on the bed.

Louis sighed, he had tried to explain to him a number of times why he couldn't go to the park and play in the swings like he used to, but Matty never really understood, which was to be expected, he was only 2.

"We can play something else if you're bored" Louis said "We can play cars, or we can draw or colour or we can watch a movie".

"No papa" Matty shook his head "Wanna go pawk!".

"We can't go, I'm sorry baby"

"Papa meanie!" the boy said.

Louis noticed Matty was about to throw a tantrum so he had to do something to avoid that.

"Matty come here" Louis said patting his lap.

Matty grumpily crawled into Louis's lap, he didn't have the I.V drip at that moment so he could move freely.

"Do you know how much I love you monkey?" Louis asked.

"Moon an' back" Marry replied repeating what Louis had told him many times.

"That's right" Louis smiled at him "And that's a lot, you know? You're the only person in the entire world that I love as much as that".

Matty nodded, but Louis could see confusion in his face.

"I'm not saying you can't go to the park to be mean, it's because I love you and I don't want you to get more sick and that's what will happen if I take you to the park" Louis explained.

"No sick papa" Matty shook his head.

Matty was obviously talking about the fact that he hadn't thrown up that day, the chemo had only made him a little dizzy for a few hours, but that had been it.

"I know you didn't get sick today, but you are not well enough to go to the park" Louis said.

"I well papa" Matty smiled showing his right cheek dimple.

Someone might say he looked sick, he was terribly pale and he had dark circles under his eyes, not to mention he was completely bald and he had even lost his eyebrows; but all Louis could see was a perfect little boy, his perfect little boy, and he had to smile at him because he looked so freaking cute smiling like that.

"Let's make a deal, okay Matty?" Louis asked.

"Kay" Matty nodded.

"When you get out of the hospital and Dr. Z says it's okay for you to go out and play, I will take you to the park everytime you ask me to, even if you ask me every day, I will take you" Louis proposed "What do you think?".

Matty made the adorable face he always made when he was thinking and Louis had to kiss his forehead, he couldn't help it.

"What are you thinking so much?" Louis wondered "You won't get a better deal monkey, you should take it".

"Papa I fink" Matty said annoyed.

"Sorry" Louis said trying not to laugh.

The little boy kept thinking for a few seconds until he nodded.