54. No needles

LOUIS

January, 2016

It was the middle of January, which meant Louis' due date was rapidly approaching.

And except for a few back aches here and there, Louis felt great and he had a lot of energy these days, which he was using to make sure everything was ready for Ruby's arrival.

Sometimes he spent hours in the nursery cleaning every corner of it, folding and refolding clothes, making sure the crib was safely put together, and that the bed sheets were clean.

Harry found it endearing, and he kept saying Louis was nesting, which he knew was true, so he didn't even bother denying it.

He was at it again that day, when he heard the front door of the flat opening, and then closing with a bang, then he heard footsteps, and then another door closing, again with a bang.

It had been the door next to Ruby's nursery, which was the guest bedroom, a.k.a Lottie's room.

Louis could guess more or less what had happened, so he was about to go to his sister's room to talk to her, when Matty came running into the nursery, and he hid behind his legs.

"Monkey, it's okay, nothing happened, you can go back to play" Louis told his son, as he tried to get him from behind his legs, but he failed.

"No" Matty refused.

"It was just aunt Lottie, love" Louis explained "There's nothing to be afraid of".

"Sure?" Matty asked hesitantly.

"I'm sure, baby" Louis said, and he finally managed to get Matty from his 'hiding' place "Now go back to play while I go talk to her, alright?".

"No" Matty said.

"It will just take a few minutes, and then we're going out to have lunch with daddy, okay?" Louis tried.

"Kay" Matty finally agreed.

"Good, monkey" Louis said and ruffled his hair a bit.

Matty went back to his room, and Louis went to his sister's, going straight in, not bothering to knock.

He found her laying on the bed under the covers, her head included, so Louis sat on the bed, and he pulled the bedspread down a bit so he could at least see her face.

"I know you're upset, but please don't bang the door like that again, Matty got scared" Louis said in a gentle voice.

"Sorry" Lottie mumbled.

"I'm guessing the interview didn't go very well" Louis said.

"It went terrible" Lottie replied.

"Why? What happened?".

"I don't want to talk about it"

"Lottie, it's alright, this was just the first interview, and you just started looking for a job" Louis reasoned.

"But I really wanted it" Lottie said in a whiny voice.

"There will be other jobs, better jobs, I promise" Louis said while he rubbed Lottie's back soothingly.

"When?" Lottie dared.

"Soon" Louis said vaguely "You just need to be patient, love"

"I can't be patient" Lottie said stubbornly.

"Why not?" Louis asked amused.

"Because" Lottie answered.

"Because...?" Louis drifted off.