61. The cherry on top of a messy life

LOUIS

March, 2016

"Papa" Matty said.

"Mmm?" Louis hummed while he focused on changing Ruby's nappy.

"Can we pway, pwease?" Matty asked very nicely.

"Let me finish with Ruby and we can play, okay?".

"Kay" Matty nodded "You can bwing hew".

"Yeah? You think she wants to play too?" Louis smiled.

"No, bu' she can watch us" Matty explained very seriously.

"Oh, okay" Louis nodded, his smile getting bigger "Why don't you go to your room to get whatever you want to play with ready?".

"Kay" Matty agreed, and ran out of the nursery.

"Your brother is cute, isn't he?" Louis told Ruby while he fastened the flaps of the new nappy "Just as cute as you are".

He put on her a new onesie, and after he quickly washed his hand with the hand sanitizer they kept in the nursery, he picked her up from the changing table.

"You're all set, cookie" Louis declared "Let's go play with Matty".

He grabbed the baby rocker with his free hand so he could leave Ruby there while he played with Matty (it weight practically nothing, but if Harry had been there, he would have scolded him for doing that), and he went over to his son's room.

"What are we playing?" Louis asked Matty.

"Shop" Matty declared showing him his toy cash register.

"Alright, are you the costumer or the shop owner?" Louis wondered while he got Ruby settled in the baby rocker.

"Shop ownew" Matty replied right away, which wasn't surprising, he always wanted to be the shop owner.

"Okay" Louis agreed.

He finished making sure Ruby was okay, which she seemed to be, so he put the rocker in motion the way she liked it, and gave all his attention to Matty.

They played for about 20 minutes, at which time Ruby decided she was done just watching, and she started letting out little sad whimpers, which by now Louis knew meant she wanted to be held.

So Louis had no choice but to take her from the rocker.

"Shhh, shhh, shhh" Louis said to Ruby while he bounced her a bit "It's okay"

"Papa, can we pway moe, pwease?" Matty begged.

"Yes, monkey, just let me get her settled" Louis replied.

Louis had discovered that taking care of a newborn and a 3 year old was tricky, which he had expected, but Harry had made it a lot easier. He had taken a month off of work after Ruby was born, only going to the office every now and then to check on things.

But he had gone back to work a week ago, after Louis assured him he was okay to handle the kids on his own. Not that he was on his own completely, Eleanor had been helping him out a lot, considering Liam still had him taking things slow because of the surgery.

That day, though, Louis had given Eleanor the day off, and Harry hadn't been able to come home for lunch like he always did, so Louis had been completely alone with both his babies all day.

"I wanna pway wif legos now" Matty announced.

"Okay, but you have to put away these other toys before you bring the legos" Louis instructed.