64. Be strong

LOUIS

While Louis went upstairs to the flat, he hoped everyone was already asleep, so he could get in his bed right away, and maybe even have a proper cry, and not have to explain to Lottie or even Matty where Harry was.

But the second he opened the door, he heard Ruby's loud cry, which told him Lottie had to be awake with her.

He found them both in the living room, Lottie bouncing Ruby in her arms, trying to calm her down, but the baby kept crying and crying.

"She's fed and changed, so I have no idea what's wrong" Lottie said to him, skipping the hello.

"Give her to me" Louis said right away, offering his arms.

"Yeah" Lottie replied, and didn't hesitate to give her brother the baby.

"Hey, it's me" Louis said Ruby while bounced her "It's me, cookie, I'm here, everything's okay".

Ruby slowly but surely calmed down in his arms, but she kept letting out little sobs here and there.

"Good, that's my girl, you're alright" Louis said, as he softly rubbed her little back.

"I still don't get how you do that" said Lottie.

"I think she just missed me" Louis explained, looking down at his beautiful daughter.

"Or she hates me, because she was completely fine before Eleanor left" Lottie added.

"She doesn't hate you" Louis laughed a little "But you're free now, so you can go to bed if you want".

"Yeah, I will, I have to get up early tomorrow" Lottie sighed, she seemed relieved not to be in charge of Ruby anymore.

"Is Matty sleeping?" Louis asked as they walked out of the living room and in the direction of the bedrooms.

"Yeah, I thought he could wake up because of Ruby crying, but nothing" Lottie replied.

"He's a heavy sleeper" Louis pointed out.

"Wait, where's Harry?" Lottie said, stopping in her room's door, probably just realizing Louis had arrived alone.

"Oh... uhm... he had to go back to the office" Louis lied.

If he told Lottie the truth, she was going to want to talk about it, but Louis didn't want to do that, he just wanted to go to bed and forget about everything for a while.

"Why?" Lottie asked confused.

"I'm not sure, something happened and he had to go fix it" Louis continued the lie.

"But you got to have your date, right?" wondered Lottie.

"Yeah, we did, it was great" Louis replied, which was actually true, it had been a great night... until it wasn't.

"Well, that's something at least" Lottie shrugged, and gave Louis a kiss on his cheek "Goodnight, Lou".

"Goodnight, love" Louis said, managing a small smile.