57. I love you

LOUIS

According to every book and research Louis had ever read, skin to skin contact right after the birth was essential, so after Ruby was born, and was checked over, Louis held his baby daughter in his arms for a few hours, even though he was very, very tired and all he wanted to do was sleep for days. He even tried to feed her a little, but Ruby wouldn't latch, which made Louis worry because that hadn't happened with Matty, but the midwife told him to calm down, that not all babies were the same, and that it was going to happen eventually.

Then, at some point, the midwife took Ruby again because they needed to do some more routine tests, and that's when Louis couldn't fight the tiredness anymore, and he fell asleep.

It was morning when he opened his eyes next, and he had been awake for a few minutes already, but he hadn't made a sound or moved an inch.

Why?

Because Harry was standing by the window with their daughter in his arms, and he was talking to her in such an adorable manner, that Louis wanted to keep watching and listening for as long as he could

"You know Ruby, it's my birthday too today" Harry was saying "Isn't it amazing?".

Louis thought it was amazing too, and he never would have thought it was going to happen, seeing as his due date had been February 10th.

But apparently Ruby had decided to give his daddy the best birthday present of all, herself.

"Last year on this very same day, I told my sister, your aunt Gemma, that I thought I was never going to be a dad" Harry continued "I don't really remember telling her that, she says I did, but I'm not really surprised, because for a long time, I thought this moment was never going to happen".

Those words broke Louis' heart, and he was about to start crying any second now, after all, his body was still filled with baby hormones.

"But look at me now, huh? One year later, and I have you, my beautiful baby girl in my arms" Harry said, and his voice sounded happy "And I also have your older brother, and he's so amazing, Ruby, you're going to love him so much".

Louis thought back to a year, only a couple months before Matty got sick, and back then he had already imagined another baby in his life. But what he hadn't imaged, was the loving man he was going to have that baby with.

But who could have guessed it? Harry was a person you could only come across with once in a lifetime, if that, and Louis never thought he was going to be so lucky to find someone like him.

Ruby started making little noises that made Louis alert, and before he could say or do anything they turned into a full cry.

"What's wrong, Ruby?" Harry asked as he bounced her.

"Do you need help, Haz?" Louis offered.

Harry looked up at him, seeming a bit startled, but then he smiled.

"You're up" Harry acknowledged, Ruby still whining in his arms.

"Mhmm" Louis nodded "What's wrong with our girl?".

"I think it's her nappy" Harry replied.

"Do you want me to change it for you?".