37. We never lost hope

LOUIS

For some reason, Louis had it in his head that Gemma didn't like him.

He hadn't seen her in a while; more accurately, since the night they almost lost Matty, and she showed up at the hospital to be there for Harry. But they barely spoke then, Louis just remembered Gemma giving him a hug and telling him everything was going to be okay, or something among those lines.

To be honest, he had been too much of a mess that night to remember half of what happened, but he knew for sure that Gemma had been really nice, and that meant a lot to him. That's why when Matty was taken back to the oncology unit, he added Gemma's name to the visitors list, but apparently he forgot to tell Harry, and now Gemma probably thought Louis was a jerk for not letting her meet her nephew.

But it wasn't only that; there was also that whole thing about Louis trying to trick Harry into sleeping with him (he wasn't sure if Gemma knew that, but he was almost positive she did), and then there was the fact that he didn't let Harry be Matty's dad for months. Louis knew that both those things really hurt Harry, and from what he had gathered, Gemma was very protective of him, which meant she probably hated Louis for hurting her little brother.

"I'm done with the table" Louis said coming back to the kitchen where Harry was cooking lunch "Do you need help?".

"No, I'm almost done, I just have to put this in the oven" Harry explained nodding at a casserole he had in front of him.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Louis asked as he sat down at the kitchen table.

"Anything, love" Harry replied while he opened the oven door to put the casserole in.

"Does your sister know what really happened when we first met? Or did you tell her the modified version we told other people?" Louis questioned.

"Uhm... I told her the real version" Harry said apologetically.

"I figured" Louis sighed.

"I know back then you asked me not to do that, but I tell my sister everything, and-" Harry started to explain

"It's fine" Louis stopped him "We barely knew each other then, and you didn't owe me anything".

"We're okay, then?".

"Yes, we're fine, I just..." Louis trailed off, and then shrugged "Nevermind".

Harry finished whatever he was doing with the oven, and then walked up to the kitchen table and sat down next to him.

"What's wrong baby?" Harry asked gently.

"Nothing".

"Are you sure?" Harry tried again.

"It's just that... I know I'm not one of those people who everyone likes-" Louis started to explain.

"What are you talking about? Who doesn't like you?" Harry interrupted.

"Harry, I'm not like you" Louis chuckled "I don't go around being friendly to everyone, so of course not everyone likes me".

"It's probably the sass what throws people off" Harry reasoned "But if people really got to know you, everyone would love you".

"It's okay Haz, I don't usually give a crap about people not liking me, to be honest, I don't like most of the people I meet" Louis explained.

"Usually?" Harry pointed out.

"Yes, and that's kind of the point I was trying to get to" Louis answered "You're my kids' dad, and my... person who I have a non relationship with, so I care if the people you love don't like me".