48. It was so real

LOUIS

It was a sunny and warm day, and they were all in the Payne's backyard having a barbecue.

Liam was at the grill cooking the food, and Louis was helping Niall set the table so they could eat lunch outside.

Nora and Violet were jumping on the trampoline, that was close to them, and at the far end of the backyard, he could see Matty and Jace running around kicking a football.

And last, but not least, Harry.

He was walking around near Matty and Jace, and he was holding and bouncing a baby girl, who couldn't be more than 5 or 6 months old. The little girl was barefoot, and she was wearing a cute little blue and yellow dress, and a sun hat that matched, so Louis couldn't really see her face.

Suddenly Harry's eyes found Louis', and he smiled and walked over to him.

"Is that Ruby?" Louis asked Harry.

"Who else would it be?" Harry laughed, and gave him a quick kiss on his forehead "I'm gonna go inside to change her nappy, she made a little mess".

"Okay, thank you" Louis answered.

"Don't need to thank me, she's my daughter too" Harry smiled.

Louis smiled back, and watched his boyfriend and daughter disappear inside the house.

"Food's almost ready" Liam announced.

"Great, I'm gonna go get the sides" Niall decided, as he finished placing the napkins "Lou, could you tell the kids to come sit?".

"Sure" Louis nodded.

He walked over to the boys first, but when he reached the end of the backyard, where the small goal posts were set up, Jace was kicking the football alone, and Matty was nowhere to be seen.

"Jace, where's Matty?" Louis asked the little boy.

"He lives with his grandparents in heaven now" Jace replied.

"What?" Louis asked, he was sure he had heard that wrong.

"Matty lives in heaven, that's what daddy and papa said" Jace explained "But I miss him, so can you tell him to come back, please uncle Lou?".

Louis had no idea why Liam and Niall would say something like that to Jace, but it was insane, and sick!

So he quickly turned around, leaving Jace playing with the football, and walked back to where Liam was, who seemed busy putting the chicken on a plate.

"Why would you and Niall tell Jace that Matty went to live in heaven?" Louis asked in disbelief.

"Lou, he's just 5, and we needed to explain what happened somehow" Liam replied, his voice sad.

"What?" Louis frowned.

"He doesn't understand completely what death is, and we didn't want to traumatize him, so we thought saying Matty went to live in heaven with your parents was a good explanation, at least for now" Liam said in a gentle tone.