Chapter 1: The Portal

NOTES: If you're re-reading this book, please refrain from commenting spoilers. Some are reading it for the first time, and while most comments from re-readers are vague enough (merely making it clear they know something already) others are straight up spoilers. So just watch for that please! Thanks!

It was your average Sunday evening. You were sitting on your back porch watching the swirl of colors on the horizon as the last of the sun was dipping out of sight. It was a beautiful night, the kind of cool weather that hinted at the end of summer and fast approach of fall. You loved spending your evenings out on your patio, staring up at the sky in awe.

When all was said and done, life was actually quite amazing. You went to work like everyone else, you'd hang with friends and family on your time off, you'd relish the weekend a bit too much, proceed to begrudge the fact that you had to go to work again the next day, and then repeat it all over. The monotony of life is said to bother many, and you would be lying if you said that the life you had now was not something that would have bored you in the past. Action and adventure movies and stories were a huge part of your life and always had been. Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and many others were the foundation of your childhood...which, to be honest, might explain why you turned out the way you did. Like the thousands of people in this world who wish for an adventure, you were no different. However, it had dawned on you that fangirling, which is a hobby you delve into far too often, ultimately leads to a desire to see your favorite characters get their happy endings. Everyone secretly enjoys a good tearjerker once in a while, but that does not diminish the sadness felt at having to witness your characters go through such pain. You frequently found yourself making up happy endings and different ways the story could have played out. "If only so and so would have done this" or "I wish I could just tell so and so about such and such thing to prevent this and that from happening." And so, you were not going to scoff at your life, knowing many of your favorite characters would kill to have it.

On this particular evening you were gazing at the sky while your mind was in another place. You were daydreaming about Marvel, which you were currently binging once again.

If only they really could have what I have, you thought, though there was one character in particular that was on your mind. Loki.

Loki was by far the most tragic story of all, followed closely by Wanda.

Could he PLEASE just get a win already? Or what if everyone won? What if everyone had lived and Thanos was defeated?

You snapped out of your fantasy to find that the sun had already disappeared and the sea of colors had dwindled to the dark blue of the night sky, with a faint light blue on the very end of the horizon.

"I need to get a life," you grumbled to yourself, as you reluctantly decided to head in for the night. After an overexaggerated stretch, you grabbed your phone and drink from the table and walked up the three wooden steps to your door. Using your elbow to push the handle down, you leaned your body against the door waiting for it to give. It took a heave or two before it opened suddenly, nearly sending you face-first onto the floor of your kitchen. Luckily you caught yourself, but your coffee wasn't as fortunate, splashing all over your shirt and the floor. "Damn it!" you yelled, slamming your cup down on the counter, a rather idiotic move, as more coffee splashed onto the table.

You sighed heavily, "Great. Just frickin fantastic." I have got to get that damn door fixed.

Grabbing a rag from the drawer, you quickly worked on soaking up the coffee splattered on the floor and counter. Having accomplished that task with minimal cursing, you walked to the sink to dump the rest of your coffee. As you watched the coffee grounds gather in the drain, a Marvel quote popped in your head. "Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a Bed and Breakfast for a biker gang?"