Chapter 47: We're In the Endgame Now

Notes: I honestly forget if I posted on Wed or Thurs last week, so I could be late. Sorry if I am! Once again I did a lot of this on my phone, and it loves correcting things that don't need correction. The number of times I have to fix Thanos when my phone corrects it to Thanks or Tony to Tiny is nuts. Like, why does Tiny make more sense than Tony? I don't get phones sometimes. Anyway, if ya see a problem let me know! Crap! Almost forgot! For those who don't know the popular story As You Wish, the author was super kind to offer to link my story at the end of her chapter. I know people have already viewed this chapter, but for those who haven't just know that I'ma do the same for them and link it. If not this chapter, starting next chapter. Just in case there are people like me who hadn't heard of the story before. People told me I had to go read it, and they were right. It's really really good.

"Loki, hear him out!" Nat said, Steve and Rhodes stepping between the god and his prey.

Loki seemed to ignore her, trying to push through the men without hurting them. If he had pent up anger from the last nine days, Zemo looked like the best guy to take it out on. That didn't mean he was going to be a fool and attack the Avengers to get to him.

He eventually stopped his struggle, ripping his arm from Steve's grip.

"What is he doing here?" Loki growled in a low tone, eyes never leaving from Zemo's.

"I'm here for Wren."

Loki's hand twitched at her name, aching to call his dagger to him once again.

"She's not here for you to abduct," Loki spat at him, taking a step closer. Rhodes put a hand on his shoulder to keep him from going further, but he shrugged it off. 

"I know," Zemo said softly, swallowing hard as he tried to maintain a strong presence, "I feared as much when she didn't respond."

"The Baron and Wren have been communicating, it would seem," Vision explained, "By means of a secret device."

"I know that," Loki said like it was meaningless.

The others glanced at one another, wondering if this was a surprise to everyone. Zemo certainly looked puzzled, the area between his eyes furrowing ever so slightly.

"What?" Bruce asked.

"You knew?" Rhodey said in disbelief, "Why the hell you tryna kill him like it's the first he's shown himself? You let Wren talk to him!"

"She does what she wants, and it was nobody's secret to tell but her own!" Loki said in irritation.

"And you were just alright with her talking to him?" Clint questioned, sounding like he knew that couldn't be true.

"Of course I wasn't! But as I said, it was her choice."

"If you trusted him enough to let her keep in touch with him, you can't kill him for nothing now," Steve warned.

"I don't trust him, I trusted her."

"And she trusted me," Zemo said.

"She pitied you!" Loki lashed back, "She took you as a burden! Someone whose hand needed to be held!"

"Are you speaking from experience?" Zemo taunted, his mouth set in a tight line, anger swirling in him as much as Loki.

Loki took another small step forward, his malevolent grin daring Zemo to continue. Clearly as emotional over the Wren situation as Loki was, Zemo didn't care for the threat. He didn't shy away as he spoke again.

"But no, I'm sure you were different," he said in a patronizing manner, "I'm sure she put her trust in you. Which is why she's dead."

Loki ran Zemo into the wall, holding his dagger against his neck.