Chapter 5: Settling In

You spent the next few hours explaining A LOT to them, but there was so much to cover that you didn't go into great depth on nearly anything.

After the quick overview of events, you had spent your time trying to explain Ragnarok in more detail. Loki had been mentioned several times, and you never failed to smile about him like you did with everyone else. However, you being a fan of his did not go unnoticed.

"Hold up," Clint said as you were explaining Loki and Thor's brotherly moment on the ship at the end of Ragnarok, "I get it that Loki is doing the right thing here and all...but are we ignoring his past here or something? Or the fact that at the beginning of your story he was impersonating Odin? And was responsible for Hela's release?"

"Well, he wasn't directly responsible," you argued, "and besides, are you forgetting the adorable conversations between him and Thor that I relayed? They were brothers once, and Loki secretly cares for Thor, always has."

When this didn't seem to convince them, as you were met with rather loud disagreements, you decided it was time to go all in on Loki.

"Ok, listen up," you said, "I'm about to tell you something...and I will follow it up with an explanation, so please hold back your shouts, AND snippy remarks," you focused on Tony on that last part. After receiving nods of agreement from everyone, and a look of exaggerated innocence from Tony, you began.

"Ok. So Loki...is kinda my favorite Marvel character."

Despite their promises to withhold their disgust, the room broke into a series of questions and sounds of disbelief. Tony also couldn't help himself, "Oh, so you just root for the Wicked Witch of the West in Wizard of Oz and cheer when the hunter kills Bambi's mom too, is that it?"

Oh dear this is going to be harder than I thought.

"Uh excuse me?! What part of no shouts or snippy comments didn't you understand?"

"That was before you let us know you idolize a murderer," Clint said, throwing his hands in the air for emphasis.

"First off, you can't say that a villain in a movie has never been your favorite character?"

"Yes, but if I was dropped into the Star Wars universe, I wouldn't think Vader was so cool anymore," Tony lashed back.

"No, but you'd still sympathize with Anakin wouldn't you? Or still know that Vader is good deep down, despite his sins?"

"God, you're such a nerd," Tony snickered.

"Well, lucky for you, if I wasn't a nerd then I wouldn't be here right now and you'd be dead in a few years!"

"Ouch, too soon," he said, dropping back in his chair and folding his arms.

You turned back to the room, "As I was saying, Loki is my favorite character for many reasons. Hilarious? Yes." This earned some scoffs from around the table. "Badass? Yes. Adorable? Yes." Oh shoot, did I just say that out loud? Tony made a gagging noise, evidently proving that you had indeed just said that out loud. You pretended not to notice. "But, I also love him because of his pain. His loss. His struggle to love himself, which leads him to believe no one else loves him. The trauma of finding out that you are a Frost Giant, the monsters of legends told to you as a child. Learning that you were only taken in to be used as a means to an end. Believing your dad must never have loved you and always favored Thor. Then trying to prove your worthiness by getting Thor out of the picture and trying to destroy your birth home, as if attempting to alienate yourself from the monster you learned you were by defeating them. And in the end, realizing that you still had done nothing right."