Chapter 45: Fate

Notes: I'm leaving for Disney World on Friday, so I worked overtime to get this chapter done before. I'll be gone for ten days, so I wanted to give you a longer one than usual to make up for it. I think it turned out to be my longest chapter. I hope you enjoy, and I'll be back at it when I return!

It had been three days since the news of T'Chaka's death and still no date had been appointed for Vis's surgery. With every day that passed, your worry grew. There was no logical reason for you to be fearful, yet you were all the same.

There's absolutely nothing threatening us right now. We have the majority of the stones. Strange will destroy the power stone and in a short time we'll have the mind stone out. You're freaking out for nothing.

Strange's pessimistic approach to the situation had messed with your head. However, you couldn't tell if it was truly pessimism or realism. The panic inside you was threatening to burst at any second, and you felt the need to tell someone. But there was something about saying it out loud that made it feel possible, so you didn't know how or what to tell anyone. There really wasn't anything to tell besides your own apprehensions. What was the point of going to Tony or Steve just to be like "Hey, I'm worried we're all gonna fail." What a cheery and motivational thing to inspire your heroes with.

Loki was a natural outlet to vent your emotions, but it was the same problem with him. How do you go up to your friend and tell them you're afraid the universe will correct itself and that means he could inevitably die? What even was the point? If the future was going to crash on you, could you do anything to stop it? Every person in the building was full of grit and optimism anyway, so your words would do little to sway their current course. There was nowhere to sway either way. For better or worse, you had to continue to do what you were doing. There was nothing new to be done, so the unhelpful concerns of your paranoid mind was the last addition you needed to the scenario.

You had thought of going into detail about the time-travel mission, just in case worst came to worst. You'd summarized the events of Endgame and Infinity War, but that didn't mean the team knew the exact details or would know what to do when the time came. It was like summarizing a movie to someone. You can tell them all the things that happen, but you don't go frame by frame and explain exactly how everything happens. What if Thanos came and you didn't survive the battle? What if you weren't around to guide them through time-travel and warn them of how things would go? Of the things that could go wrong? Like Thanos getting his hands on Nebula? Not that Nebula would even be involved, but if your worries were warranted, then she could very well come in as she was meant to. 

You'd described Tony's death, but not things leading up to it. Not your frustrations on how someone else like Captain Marvel could have snapped, or any other alternative ways it could have ended. Could Dr. Strange have used the time stone and reversed the damage on Tony? Was that even possible? He reversed the decay of an apple, but did the stones extract a higher price that couldn't be reversed? There were so many things to contemplate and plan for if those situations ever arose again.

You'd mentioned things like Peter getting dusted and Tony getting stabbed, but you'd never explained shot by shot what happens. Such as, how and why Tony and Strange end up in space. Now that you thought about it, had you ever mentioned the fact that they fought him on Titan? You'd covered what happens to everyone, but you'd always told more about the outcomes rather than the scenery or technicalities. Infinity War and Endgame were such a touchy subject, you'd never sat down and said, "Hey, let's all talk about how you get stabbed Tony and then you drift in space for 20 something days, etc, etc." You'd only described great details when there was a competition for whose death was most dramatic or other such debates.

You were not going to let events play out like the movies. You swore to yourself.

"Friday?" you said absent-mindedly from where you laid limply on your bed, lost in these thoughts.