Chapter 35: Always Meet Your Villains

The room was quickly turned upside down, gunshots and shouts filling the air. Splintered wood and dust spread around the environment, as bullets missed their targets and tore into the furniture and walls. Loki and Bucky had contained the main entrance, but smashed windows and another hall yielded other openings for them to stream through. Loki wasn't kidding, they'd come in force this time. How Loki managed to eliminate his foes without getting shot was something you had no time to ponder. Being close range, and catching them as they ran in, probably helped. Bucky had his arm to block any attempts, as he was able to stick his hand right in front of a gun's opening without fear. You, Valkyrie, Korg, and Miek were taking care of the men that were pouring in with little signs of slowing down. Korg had flipped a table, the two of you using it as cover as you blasted away. Valkyrie was as quick as Loki, taking the fight up close and catching them before they could pull the trigger. Her sword was able to deflect their bullets as well, which you saw on multiple occasions. Miek was waiting near the other hallway, slashing at guys as they came.

There were a few times you thought they might overrun your position, yet the six of you managed to maintained the advantage.

They've gotta know by now that there's no way they're beating two Asgardians and the Winter Soldier. How many men are they going to lose in this poorly thought out plan? 

Nevertheless, the fight carried on, with you unaware of how much time had passed. Suddenly, something was thrown into the room from the hall, rolling towards the position now held by Miek, who'd retreated further back from his initial place. It took you too long to realize what it was.

"Miek!" you shouted, but not soon enough. 

Miek raised his blades in front of him, trying to dive away as the grenade released some kind of shock wave and blinding light. You ducked behind the table, feeling the force against it even from across the room. It had been loud too, your ears ringing as you peered over the table. Miek was laying motionless a distance from where he'd been, the explosion launching him backwards. His robotic legs and arms looked damaged. Korg shouted a battle cry for his friend, blasting with extra intensity towards the hallway. Miek was laying in a vulnerable position. If he was still alive, you had to get him before a soldier or grenade did.

"Cover me!" you yelled, leaping over the table and charging across the room. Sliding to the ground by Miek, you pulled his injured body behind the closest cover you could find, which happened to be one of the large lounge chairs.

"Miek, Miek can you hear me? Come on! Please move!"

"Leave him and get behind some real cover!" Loki called from where he and Buck continued their fight.

Like hell I'll leave him!

You looked around frantically, trying to weigh your options. You noticed the men entering near Valkyrie and Korg were heading your way...yet they never fired in your direction. It dawned on you that you had never really been in danger of getting shot this entire fight. Looking at the table you'd been hiding behind, there wasn't a single bullet hole anywhere near the end you'd occupied.

They can't risk killing me.

"Korg, I'm coming back!" you called over, grabbing Miek and dragging him across the room.

Korg focused his fire more heavily on the men closest to you. 

"What the hell are you doing?!" Loki said angrily, running to your side as you moved slower than was safe, weighed down by the load you carried.

"They're not aiming for me!" you grunted, not pausing in your struggle to get Miek to safety. Loki must have looked around to observe the truth.

"That means they'll keep coming for you, if they want you alive so desperately. Get back there and stay safe!"