Chapter 41: An Extended Stay

"I can pretend to be part of the intern program thing!" you argued with Tony as he walked to the parking lot.

"I'm not jeopardizing this kid's secret by resting the entire ruse on your acting skills."

"I don't have to say anything around Aunt May!"

"No, you don't, but you will."

"I can hold it in until we're behind closed doors, Tony."

"You've displayed zero talent for containing your giddy need to call out everything and stare at every new character you meet."

"Please, I can do it!"

"I got this," he said, as a black car pulled up for him, "I've heard the story enough times to relay it to him, and I'll bring him over to meet everyone. Ok? Relax, Kylo, it'll work out."

"Kylo? That's a new one. Guessing you saw the new Star Wars movie?"

"Yeah, once I saw there's a character named Kylo Ren, I knew it was you. Especially cuz he's a moody young adult with a fascination and love for a villain he idolizes."

"Ok, I'm not that far gone. And I resent the moody comment."

"I could call you different birds? You do know you're named after a bird right?"

"Just get going! You might wanna tell him everything in the car away from May, not his bedroom. I'm guessing we're about to shatter his mind, and if you think I have a bad poker face you should see his."

"I know. That's why I'm not driving, so I can give him my undivided attention," he said right as the driver's door opened and Happy stepped out.

"Happy?!" you exclaimed.

"Do I know you?" he asked a little rudely, looking from Tony to you.

"Gosh, I forgot how cranky you can be, especially in the early Spider-Man days," you mumbled, making Happy's brow furrow.

"Am I supposed to know what that means? Who is this?" he turned to Tony.

"Remember that inability to not say anything?" Tony asked you.

"Well why haven't you told Happy yet? And how is it that this is the first time I'm meeting him?" you countered.

"Happy, really? He's on your dream list?"

"List, what list?" Happy questioned, looking confused, which, as head of security, naturally meant suspicious as well.

"It's not a hit list. Ease up there, Paranoia," Tony answered, "He's gonna be in the car, so he'll hear it all," he said to you, "Remember, I got this." 

With that he winked and climbed through the open door Happy was holding. Happy gave you a distrustful stare as he walked slowly around the car. You gave him an insincere and mischievous smile, just to mess with him. He quickened his pace, clambering into the car with an eagerness to tell Tony how suspicious you just were. You could hear him already starting his worried rambling as the car pulled away. You watched as he disappeared down the pavement and out of sight. Returning inside, there was nothing you could do besides live your day like any other. You guessed this meant your return trip to Asgard was postponed, at least for a few more hours.

You spent the day catching up with different people. Going out for frozen yogurt wasn't an option anymore, so you and Rhodey took lunch in a quiet lounge in the compound away from the others. You helped Cap sift through security footage and reports with Friday, all information gathered from the eyes and ears Tony and Fury had everywhere. The goal was to try and find any key to Zemo's whereabouts, but the search turned out the same it had every other day. At least talking with Steve as you went made it fun. Later you convinced Clint to help you shoot some arrows, something you'd always wanted to try. You stuck a punching bag right in the center, which you considered an accomplishment...even if the bag was no where near the target you were aiming for. At the designated 'update Heimdall' time, Cap informed him of the unexpected appearance of Parker. In short, you might be hanging around on earth longer. He wanted Thor and Loki to know you were fine and that they'd call if something went wrong.