Chapter 16: Bit of Tension

"Move away from her Loki," Clint said roughly, walking towards you but never taking the gun off of Loki.

"Clint, it's fine. I've explained everything to Loki. He's good for now."

You looked at Loki, and he was glaring back.

"What?"

"You failed to mention him being here," he responded, gesturing to Clint.

"Was I supposed to or something? You didn't exactly ask me if I came here alone or not. It's not my fault you suck at interrogating."

He made a move towards you, but Clint's gun pointed in his face stopped him.

"I spared you my interrogation," he growled, "Because I believed what you said, I trusted the information. But I see that was a mistake."

"Oh my gosh, Loki, seriously? I leave out one detail and you're going to act like a baby about it? Does it even matter that Clint's here? It's not like I kept it a secret while he went around sabotaging stuff."

"No, but it would have been helpful to know when there's someone here who desperately wants me dead."

He turned his glare to Hawkeye now.

"I'd only be returning a few favors," Clint said with a smirk.

"Oh, I'd love to see you try," Loki smiled, and you could tell he was getting his hands ready for his daggers.

"Clint isn't going to kill anyone, Loki," you said slowly and deliberately. "Isn't that right, Clint?"

Barton looked at you and back at Loki before addressing him. "Lucky for you, she begged on your behalf. You're safe from the Avengers, for now. Make one wrong move and that changes real fast. I would happily put an arrow straight through your skull. Screw up and I will, understand?"

Loki smiled like he was secretly about to spit venom any second, "Perfectly," he said.

Oh this is off to a great start, you thought, finally shifting your focus to the other occupant in the room. Loki did the same.

"Heimdall!" Loki said with open arms, "No hard feelings right, old friend?"

Heimdall just stood there staring at him with a hard expression. You noticed his hair wasn't quite as long as it was in Ragnarok, but long enough to be tied behind him.

"Ok, look," Loki said, gazing at the floor in search of his words, "I know I've done some subjectively questionable things."

You cleared your throat loudly. He glared at you, but rolled his eyes and nodded his head. "Ok, fine, blatantly bad things, is that better?" He looked at you and you nodded your head.

"Apologies are not my strong suit, Heimdall, you know this. However, I have been shown what my actions will unleash...the people they will hurt," he glanced up at you briefly during that last part. "So, I want to make it right," he continued, "Please, accept my apology and help me find my brother. Then, we shall go find Odin and return him to the throne."

His entire stance had changed. For once, he was not trying to hold himself up, but rather seemed more deflated and vulnerable. His eyes were fixated on the floor, flicking up to Heimdall on occasion.

This is too easy. Him helping? He has to, for himself. But apologizing? No way he means that right?

You honestly couldn't tell. After a moment of silence had passed, Heimdall finally spoke.

"In all my years of knowing you, that was your first apology." Heimdall's expression was serious, but softer.

Loki smiled, "Yes, well, I hope to not make a habit out of it."