Chapter 6: Dinner

You stepped out of the elevator and took a left, per Tony's instructions. You took your own sweet time meandering down the hallway. It was like being in a dream. Your mind was completely shot from having to deal with so much in one day, but the thrill of excitement had returned to your body. The hallway seemed to open up to a large room up ahead, and you heard the voices of the Avengers bickering over one thing or another. You stepped into the room to find that it consisted of two parts. A very large lounge area and a kitchen with a dining room portion. The others seemed to realize you'd entered the room and quickly stopped talking.

"Wow, real subtle guys," you said, walking over and taking a seat furthest from anyone. You were feeling out of place.

There were a few laughs before Nat said, "Subtlety isn't really their specialty."

"Coming from the most aggressive woman, that's laughable," Rhodey responded.

You smiled before addressing the elephant in the room, "So, what were you guys talking about when I came in? And don't lie, I'm too tired to deal with that."

"We were just discussing a few things about your world," Sam responded with a smile.

"Okaaay, like what?"

"Like who's more popular," Clint said, "Me or Nat?"

Nat rolled her eyes, "Oh please, this isn't even up for debate."

You laughed as they all turned to you, expecting you to end the argument.

"No one is more popular than the other..." before you could continue, the room broke into a series of 'oh come on's and 'no way's.

"Everyone loves a Legolas, but I've learned better than to bet against Nat, so I'm team Romanoff," Tony said.

"Thank you very much," she said, raising her glass to him.

"Seriously though, who is it?" Rhodey asked again.

You sighed heavily, "Nat."

The room broke into "I told you so's" and laughter, with Sam even handing over ten bucks to Rhodey and Tony.

"Oh come on Wren!" Clint yelled at you.

"Hey, I didn't say I liked any one of you over the other, but in terms of world popularity, Black Widow is probably the safest bet."

The food arrived just then, and you all went up to the counter to grab some. Despite being hungry earlier, the thought of eating now sounded ridiculous. Your stomach hadn't quite settled from the sudden attack in your bedroom, so you played it safe and only scooped a very small portion of rice onto your plate. After returning to the table, Sam turned to you again.

"So, who is the most popular overall?"

"I assume you've already made bets?"

"Just a few friendly wagers is all, keeps things interesting," Tony replied.

"Come on guys, don't keep making her do this," Cap objected, though he was smiling too.

"Oh don't try that Steve, you know you're curious," Nat said.

"He's just scared he won't be the one," Sam said.

"Ok, fine. Wren, enlighten us," Steve said, fully accepting the challenge.

"Well, in terms of purely the Avengers, there is no one particular favorite overall. Everyone has their own favorite. But the 'Big Three' are Thor, Cap, and Iron Man," you answered, earning scoffs and an "of course" from the others.

"Just chill, you're all someone's favorite."

"Who is yours?" Tony asked, "Hero I mean, not mass-murderer."