Chapter 8: The Unexpected

"So we just wait around for this Heimdall guy to beam Thor to us?" Rhodey asked.

"That's not even remotely what I said?"

"No, instead you gave us the same problem we had five seconds ago. How exactly do you plan on reaching this new guy hmm? Even my plans are more thought out than this, I at least have 15% of a plan usually," Tony scoffed, leaning back on the couch and putting his feet up on the coffee table.

He noticed the looks and corrected himself, "Ok, maybe 10%."

"I think there may be a way to contact Heimdall. He's the Gatekeeper for the Nine Realms. He can hear and see everything. If we call out to him directly, he should be able to hear us. Maybe we can let him know that he needs to find Thor so we can stop---" You froze mid-sentence, an unwelcoming thought hitting you.

"What?" Steve asked.

You put your face in your hand and let out a moan, "I don't know if Loki has forced Heimdall into exile yet."

Groans spread around the room.

"Nooo? You mean, your Lord and Savior thoroughly screws us again? Who woulda seen that coming," Tony snapped.

"Hey I don't know if he's done it yet, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first thing he did. With Heimdall's vision it would have been too risky to keep him around. Loki can hold a strong illusion, but if Heimdall suspected anything enough to look closely, Loki woulda been screwed."

"So there's no one monitoring this gateway at all? No way for Thor to come?" Wanda asked.

"Well, no, Loki puts a man named Skurge in charge of the Gate. He's a bit of a coward who has a redemptive arc and death in Ragnarok," you half-heartedly explained, struggling to think of another solution.

"Can Skurge find Thor?" Nat asked.

"He doesn't have the powers that Heimdall has...although, when Thor calls out to Heimdall in Ragnarok, Skurge is able to hear it, as a device in the dome starts playing Thor's calls. He then is able to open the bifrost to where Thor is. Now, maybe he was able to know where Thor was because of his voice, almost like a tracker. Or, possibly, the bifrost works in ways I don't understand, so perhaps he could use it to find Thor again. If we call out to Heimdall, then maybe our voices can be heard too. Maybe, and we won't know until we wait around for Thor, but maybe we can get a message to Skurge to find Thor. With any luck, Heimdall could still be in charge, who knows?"

"It's worth a shot," Cap said. You stood up to go outside, but Tony stepped in front of you.

"Whoa whoa, where do you think you're going?"

"Outside to test our theory," you said with a confused tone, thinking that it had been pretty self-explanatory.

"And what if something goes wrong and Skurge lets Loki know we're looking for Thor? Or he beams you up to kill you on sight because you're a human who seems to know a little too much on how magic rainbow bridge communication works?"

"You're being paranoid, have we got any better ideas for reaching Thor?"

You looked around the room expectantly, but no one could offer any alternatives.

"That's what I thought," you said, turning once more to leave, but Tony held you back again.

"Even if we do get Thor, we still don't have a plan for getting to Loki."

"We'll make it when Thor gets here. Worst case scenario he plows full steam ahead and we just follow for the clean-up," you said smiling.

"No, this is Loki we're dealing with. Thor may be able to handle his own, but if all we do is come at him with a plucky attitude---"