Chapter 46: Picking Up the Pieces

Notes: I'm back!!! Sorry this chapter is not as long as others, though 13,000ish ain't terrible for word count. I've had a crazy week since I got back last Monday, so I ended this one a little earlier and saved material for next chapter just so I could get something to you guys. The Obiwan Kenobi show, Stranger Things Season 4, Star Wars Celebration, and that new episode of Tom Hiddleston's show (and naturally the Depp vs Turd trial) had me preoccupied this last week, so I have no idea how I wrote at all. I watched like twelve straight hours of TV on Friday...unhealthy but worth it. Anyway, here ya go! Sorry for the wait! Oh also I finished the last part of this chapter on my phone, and autocorrect is a brat, so if you see like egregious errors please let me know!

Either by pure coincidence or the universe's flair for the dramatic, Wren was the last to go. Loki stared at the place she'd vanished, the same grim look of fear and shock as everyone else frozen on his face. Steve slumped to the ground, sitting next to Bucky's dusty remains. Clint staggered slowly to Nat, taking her hand. The rest of the group didn't move. Rhodey jogged in from the trees, looking around for confirmation for what he knew had happened. He caught Bruce's eye first, who gave one sad nod.

"Oh God," Cap muttered, eyes not lifting from the ground in front of him.

No one spoke for another minute, each individual processing the loss in their own way. The only sound that broke the air was the distant rumble of thunder, as if the world itself was lamenting what had happened.

Clint was the first to speak.

"Laura," he said softly like he knew the truth already, "I have to see."

Nat relinquished his hand, not facing him as she nodded. He moved as fast as he could, the weight of grief causing him to stumble off in a haze.

"Brother," Thor said hoarsely, swallowing back his own emotions. He took a step to Loki, whose hands had clenched into fists at his sides.

"We have to get them back," he said in determination, turning to face the group. Where minutes ago there was sadness, now there was fury. "You've all done it before. Out there, somewhere, in another universe, you've all gone through this before," he said firmly.

"Wren said after five years," Nat spoke somberly.

"Because we didn't know about time-travel," Cap answered, pushing himself from the ground.

"I know Scott's the key, and some of the places we go, but Wren talked about the big final battle," Bruce replied, "Some things go wrong. And I don't even know where we start."

"I do," Steve answered, "Wren told me everything. She was afraid this would happen."

Loki lowered his eyes, Cap's words inducing further pain.

"Well then what are we waiting for?" Thor asked, "Let's find Lang and get our asses moving."

"It's not that simple," Steve told him.

"Why not?" Loki snapped.

"Because the entire universe just lost half its population. More needs to be handled than just bringing them back," Steve answered, his voice sounding more agitated and argumentative than it usually did.

"Bringing them back is what we need to handle!" Loki lashed back, taking a step closer to Steve.

"Loki, I know you're upset. But we all lost today. And we want them back as much as you. But there's a whole world that needs us too. Our duty is to them," he pointed to indicate the rest of humanity, "as much as it is to each other. If we're going to bring them back, we need to tell the world. They need to know what's happened."

Loki stared hard at Steve, who didn't shy away.

"Fine. Comfort your world," Loki said coldly, "Just try not to let five years slip past before you actually do something."