Chapter 32: Aftermath

"I know it's a lot to take in," Nat said to Bruce, who was running his fingers through his hair in a flustered manner. He chuckled at her words.

"Yeah, that's um...so you say half the universe gets wiped out? Just like that?" he asked you.

You, Nat, Bruce, and Valkyrie were sitting in the Grandmaster's very spacious and very comfortable suite. The others were off dealing with the aftermath of toppling a government. It was considered best to keep Bruce on the sidelines for the time being, Nat staying by his side. You weren't much of a help when it came to leading others or providing security to a worried and jittery population, so you'd agreed to sit out as well and explain the situation to Bruce. Valkyrie had been invited, and, surprisingly, she'd shown up. Evidently, she was curious enough about what was going on. Now, you sat in a plush chair across from the couch Nat and Bruce occupied and a few feet to the right of where Valkyrie lounged arrogantly in her seat. The expression on her face was hard to read. Part of you thought it looked concerned and overwhelmed by the possibility of the truth in your testament, but this was Valkyrie...she hid everything under a layer of "Do I look like I give a damn?" Therefore, you really couldn't decide whether or not she believed you.

"Yeah, it's uh...it's a hard blow for you guys," you answered.

Bruce sighed, leaning back and rubbing his forehead. His feet were tapping anxiously.

"And we're...we're sure she's..." he said quietly to Nat, glancing up at you, "We're positive her story's right? I mean, movie characters Nat? You know how insane that sounds, right? No offense, you seem like a really nice person," he clarified, giving you an apologetic wince, "It's just, it's a far-fetched idea."

"Tell me about it," you huffed in agreement.

"What about Barnes? And Loki replacing Odin? And the Aether on Knowhere or Power Stone on Xandar? And you being here?" Nat questioned him, "How did she know about those things?"

"She could be something more dangerous than what she says if she knew things like that," Valkyrie said, giving you a sideways glance.

"Oh come on, do I look like a threat to anything, let alone you guys?" you tossed your hands in the air.

"I'm not saying she's anything dangerous," Bruce told Valkyrie, "But...to jump to the conclusion that her story is the only way she'd know that stuff?"

"Bruce, she's only used whatever knowledge she has in order to help us. Why would she lie about how she knows it if she's only using it to help? How did she drop from a portal into our front yard? She also has quoted lines from our past word for word, literally giving scene descriptions and mannerisms with them. The way she describes the scenes is like that of a movie, so I don't see any point in fighting her on this one aspect of what she's told us."

"Not that it'll change your mind, but I do know scenes and dialogue and theme songs even. I can describe anything to you that you'd like."

"Ok," Bruce hummed, thinking for a bit, "How did I end up here?"

"Well, you went to free Nat from Ultron, telling her that you and her were to sit this one out. You said you had a compelling reason not to turn green, to which she said she adores you and y'all kiss---"

"Okaaay," Bruce cut you off, laughing nervously.

"Oh, sorry...was that too personal?" you asked sheepishly, looking from Nat to Bruce. Nat was just smirking at your lack of boundaries, turning to Bruce with a smile. The two ended up laughing, and you breathed a little easier.

"Yes, but I suppose I did ask for it," he shrugged with a smile.

"Wait," Valkyrie said, holding up a hand and leaning forward in her chair, "You two are a thing?" she asked, finger pointing back and forth between the two of them.