Chapter 19: Rocky Relationship

The Avengers stood ready to launch.

"Friday?" Tony called out.

"On it, boss," her voice replied from a band on his wrist. Seconds later his suit was flying to his hand, latching on and expanding around him.

"As much as I would enjoy a rematch," Loki said as he took another tentative step forward, "I'm afraid I didn't come here to fight."

"Take it personally if we don't believe you," Tony said.

"Yes, I imagine trust is in short supply," he smirked, "But the fact remains that I bear no ill intentions."

"We're just supposed to believe that you want to be friends with us after our last get together?" Nat asked.

"Nothing could be farther from the truth, Romanoff," Loki glared at her, "As I told your newest mindless follower, your friendship is the last possible desire of mine."

"Mindless follower? Says the man who attacked New York because a purple maniac told him to."

Loki looked at you with such fury that you noticed Cap instinctively put an arm in front of you.

"Would you like to continue our conversation from the balcony?" Loki threatened.

"Oh please try it," you said, moving Steves's arm as you took a step forward, "I'm on earth now, buddy, so by all means throw a tantrum again. I can say whatever I want here, and knowing your inability to handle the truth, you won't like what you hear."

"Wren, take a step back," Steve warned.

You noticed you had instinctively taken a few more steps in your anger, and now the gap between you and Loki was too close for the team's liking.

"You should listen to the soldier," Loki grinned, taking a slow step towards you.

"One more step and I blast you back to Asgard," Tony threatened.

Loki paused three feet from you, staring hard into your eyes as you glared right back. You held the gaze until he smiled.

"You did miss me didn't you, darling?"

The way he said the last word was intended to make you super uncomfortable.

"Yup, totally," you scoffed, rolling your eyes and walking back to stand next to Wanda.

"Why are you here then?" Clint asked, "Don't you have work to do up on Asgard?"

"Unfortunately, my work on Asgard is complete. I have relinquished the throne and brought Odin back."

"Wait, you got Odin without Thor?" you asked. "I thought you were going to wait for him before finding your father?"

"And why did you assume such a thing? Because the two of us did it together in your moving pictures? In case you haven't noticed, darling, we've already strayed quite a ways from the future you saw."

"I guess that's fair. I just didn't expect you to---ok don't take this the wrong way or anything, but I didn't think you'd so readily fix your mistakes...or face Odin alone."

"It's not the first time you've been wrong about me, darling," Loki said smugly, "I can assure you it won't be the last."

"Cut the chit chat you two," Tony barked, "So why are you here now, Reindeer Games? Shouldn't you and dear old dad be hugging it out up there?"

"Odin and I have made amends temporarily," Loki explained, "But he thought it best I spend some time off of Asgard and continue to help fix things with those I had...wronged." He finished his last sentence like it pained him to have to say it.