Chapter 9: Stranded

Unlike Thor, you weren't used to the change from weightless to suddenly on your feet, so you rather amusingly fell and rolled a few times across the floor of the bifrost dome.

You stood up groaning, "I have got to learn how to land out of portals."

"Who are you and what business have you with the Gatekeeper of the Nine Realms?" a familiar voice said. You looked up to find Skurge pointing a sword at you, the tip mere inches from your face.

"I didn't ask to be beamed up here!" you protested.

Skurge looked stupidly back at the bifrost sword and then you, "But, I heard you calling for Heimdall?"

"Yeah, to ask a favor! Do you honestly just let anyone into Asgard who comes ringing the doorbell?"

He looked confused, not understanding what a doorbell was, but clearly understood you were insulting his competence.

"Well, you're the first to ever call."

Seeing the look on your face made him stand up straighter in defense, "Ok, so I'm new to the job. But who are you to know of Heimdall anyway?"

"I know Thor and his friends."

"The Prince sent you?"

"No, not exactly. We're trying to find him. I was hoping maybe you could help?"

Skurge puffed out his chest a little before responding, "And why should I help a Midgardian such as yourself?"

"You don't know how to find him do you?" you asked, seeing right through his question.

His shoulders slumped a little as he gave you an annoyed look. "Fine, alright, I have no idea how. There aren't exactly classes on how to guard the Nine Realms," he replied indignantly, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Well, in that case, I'll need to find Heimdall. Could you please beam my colleagues up here or do you not know how to do that either?"

"Heimdall is a traitor," Skurge said, ignoring your question, "Odin charged him with---"

"I know I know," you cut him off, "but that isn't the real Odin."

Skurge was looking at you suspiciously now, slowly raising his sword again.

"I think I'd know my own king when I see him."

"No, it's Loki, posing as Odin. He's stranded Odin on earth, or Midgard, which is why we need Thor's help. Thus, we need Heimdall."

Skurge clearly thought you were off your rocker, as his sword was pointed fully at you again and he had a warning look on his face.

"Loki is dead, so you're either mad or a liar. Either way you're dangerous."

Quickly realizing that your position was growing more dire by the second, you decided it was best to get out of there and regroup with the others.

"Fine, you're right, I must be mistaken," you began, faking your best apologetic smile, "so if you could just return me to earth, I'll go home."

You turned to walk towards where you had come through the bifrost, but Skurge cut you off.

"I think not. You're going before Odin first. He can sort this out. If he believes you are not a threat, then I will send you home."

"Seriously? You beam me up here, not even knowing who I am, and now you're suddenly so worried about safety and protocols?"

"There's a time to learn everything is there not?" Skurge smirked, raising an eyebrow at you, "Now, walk."