Chapter 3: Some Explaining to Do

NOTES: When writing the reader, I obviously just wrote a lot of what I might do or gave her some of my likes and dislikes. However, I did my best to make her realistic while still more interesting or composed than I could ever be in these situations. I'd be crying if it were me. Anyway, she can be annoying and hotheaded at times throughout the story, but also kind and understanding. I didn't want her to be perfect, but also didn't want her to be weak and scared all the time. Her speech and thoughts can sometimes be a jumbled mess, because her thoughts are probably firing at a million miles per minute given the circumstances. Oh, I also took liberty with how the outside and inside of the compound looked in order to fit whatever I need to happen throughout the chapters.

The inside of the compound was as spectacular as one would imagine. You walked through the massive expanse of the lobby and into a hallway. Everything was as sleek, shiny, and pristine as the high-tech facility appeared to be on screen. There were many different sitting areas, labs and other such rooms. You made your way throughout the compound, absorbing every detail. The compound was a series of a few buildings, connected by overpasses and hallways. At some point through the walk you passed a large glass window covering the expanse of a wall. Inside was the training room.

Finally you entered a conference room you had seen before. It was, in fact, the very same room where the Sokovia accords were discussed, or at least it looked like the very same room.  But who knew how many similar rooms they had? The thought of that scene made you angry, and for the first time since you had arrived you remembered why you had wanted to come to the MCU.

Stop them from losing.

You took a quick inventory of who was here and where that would place them in the timeline. Your guess was soon after Age of Ultron, or at least you hoped it was soon. You didn't want to race against the clock to beat Civil War when you already had your hands full.

The Avengers all took their seats, placing themselves in a way that put them between you and the door, leaving the only available seat at the corner of the table by Tony. He motioned for you to sit, and you did so right away. All eyes were silently on you, and you suddenly felt like you were in school again, panicking before speaking in front of the class.

Steve cleared his throat, "So, Wren, please start from the beginning. What happened?"

You were feeling more comfortable by the minute, but the thought of what you'd have to explain in a moment worried you.

How nuts am I going to sound?

You nodded slowly and cleared your throat too, knowing it'd be a miracle if your voice worked at all.

"Ok. As I said, it's a long story, and it is also crazy and bizarre and will seem completely impractical, but I need you to bear with me here."

You realized you had sputtered out your words at a rapid rate.

"Hey, Jitters, calm down," Tony said, "And make sure to breathe a bit will you?"

You smiled and nodded again.

"Ok, sorry. I just talk quickly when I'm nervous. And it's particularly difficult when you know you're about to say something that will seem like complete and utter lunacy to a table of your favorite characters."

Dang it, characters? Really? Hopefully they'll attribute your strange choice of words to the fact that you're just nervous.

Thankfully, there were only a few brows furrowed momentarily.

"I'm sitting next to an android and across from a girl with magic, so I doubt anything shocks us anymore," Clint said with a small laugh.

You smiled again and continued, "Well, I certainly hope that is true, because, oddly enough, my story is weirder than those combined."