Chapter 40: A Tiny Event

Notes: Yeah, it's late again...I'm convinced I'm not capable of posting on time. Anyway, sorry this one is shorter than others, but there's a lot I have to cover in order to get us to this story's end, and I'm finding myself wanting to cram it all in large chapters when lately time won't let me do that. So here's a slightly smaller one for now. Hopefully next week's is longer.

"When you said we were taking the day off, I didn't think you were gonna substitute it for a hike," you said, hopping down from the fallen tree trunk you'd stepped on.

"And I never said we were taking the day off. I said no training," Loki answered from ahead of you.

"Then what is this?"

"Are you really viewing this walk as a physically draining task?"

"No," you defended quickly, "I was just saying."

"Yes, you tend to do that."

You couldn't argue. After all, you had just said it for the sake of teasing. You really were loving the hike. It was the first time you'd walked through the woods and over the hills of Asgard. Nature was much the same as it was in any beautiful place on earth, besides the occasional plant or creature you came across that reminded you of where you were. You'd stop and ask questions about them, stare at them, admire them. If the walk had been for exercise reasons, you'd have been traveling at a faster rate or climbing a mountain, both without stops.

"Then where are we going?"

"I thought you'd liked to see the planet."

"Oh...uh yeah, I do. Guess I just always think there's a plan with you, a destination."

"A trick?" he questioned, pausing to look back.

"Not necessarily! You just have a reason for the things you do...usually...even if they're sometimes stupid."

"I have half a mind to leave you here, lost in the woods."

"I'd find my way back."

"Please, you barely know your way around the palace, and you've been living there for three weeks."

"Well it's easy for you, you've lived there for a lifetime! I can remember one direction though, and uh trees and and, I don't know, rocks or something. Point is, my mind is a fully-functioning GPS."

Loki huffed.

"You don't even know what a GPS is!"

"I can infer it's meaning through your words."

"Can you infer this meaning?" you asked from beside him, flipping him off.

He let go of the branch he'd pushed aside before you were through, letting it whack your face.

"That's it! You and me, right here," you said, catching up to him and doing a boxer's bounce around him, "I'll take you with my eyes closed," you joked, still jumping back and forth with your fists up, throwing fake jabs and hooks. Loki kept trying to walk past, but you hopped around in front of him, slowing his progress.

"Can we not?" he said, though letting the smile he'd been holding shine through.

"What's that whole knight honor thing? I demand satisfaction, sir!" you declared in a british man's voice, "I'd throw the left glove down or however they do it, but uh I-I don't have one. Wait, here!" you took the hair-tie off of your wrist and cast it dramatically on the dirt at his feet. "Pick it up, sir!"

"You've read or watched too many stories," he remarked, folding his arms.

"Yeah yeah, we know this. But you come from a place of literal knights, so you have to pick it up. I challenged you, now accept or be disgraced."